Chutneys - what to do with them

joanmul

I got a present of a hamper at Christmas which was great but there were three jars of different chutneys in it. We're not really fans of cold meats so I was wondering are there any suggestions for using them? One chutney is Sundried tomato with chilli and garlic, one is chutney for cheese and wine, and the last one is rich fruity chutney with Irish stout. Could Dr Eva Ormond come up with healthy suggestions?!!

Why not try eating them with hot foods. Chutneys are lovely additions to any meal. And if it really is that difficult to bear them in your home, if they are not opened give them to your neighbours or friends if you have any. Otherwise bin them and make sure you tell whoever gave you them that you really are ungrateful and would prefer they keep their gifts.

I don't buy them much myself as I never get to the end of the jar. I used them like any other sauce. The chilli and garlic one would be ice with white fish or steak.

The other two would be nice in sandwiches or a wrap for lunches.

I brought a few half empty jars into work and left them in the fridge with a help yourself post it on them. It was better than the bin I thought and they were used.

- serve with a selection of salami, olives, parma ham, & crusty bread
- top off a home made burger (beef, pork or lamb)
- pan fry a fillet of chicken with olive oil & top with some chutney
- cheese - lovely mature cheddar (+glass of port)
- sausage & homemade brown bread (or best shop bought)

Chutneys don;t have to be served with cold meats - be adventurous & try out different things - I made an apple chutney to go with pate (as per reciepe) but didn't think it worked too well, I tried it with chicken samosas - yum; tried it with cheese - yum; tried it with cheddar - yum; tried it with stilton - NOT yum

If you really don;t like them as an add on, use them as an add in - so the fruit & stout one could be added to a morrocan type stew, sun dried tomato on, add it to a tomato based sauce, or a batch of home made burgers....no idea whats in the "cheese one"

MODS -- Have you considered changing AAM to AAD ?? Ask about Dinner could really open the flood gates to new entrants. Forget the serious business of Debt or Investments. What grub that is in the fridge is a hell of a lot more important !!

Why not try eating them with hot foods. Chutneys are lovely additions to any meal. And if it really is that difficult to bear them in your home, if they are not opened give them to your neighbours or friends if you have any. Otherwise bin them and make sure you tell whoever gave you them that you really are ungrateful and would prefer they keep their gifts.

That's an idea - add them into a casserole or make a sort of sauce, especially as I'm useless at sauces. Thanks, all.

A spoonful here and there, chicken, cheese usually go well with chutneys. I make my own and use them to make my own version of 'coronation chicken'.

Use a tablespoon in a lunchbox to dip your salad or meat in to. Healthier than mayo.

You can add it to mayo and use as a spread before you add your sandwich filling to your roll, bread, wrap, whatever.

Be adventurous and try it out with any kind of food.................live a little :eek:

Back