Dubai or Abu Dhabi

airgead07

Hi

We are travelling to Australia for 3/4 weeks around the end of June next year.

We were considering stopping in either Dubai or Abu Dhabi on the way home depending on if we fly with Emirates or Eithiad.

This would be around the end of July.

Would this be a good time of year? Would it get too hot to ly by the pool during the day time?

According to a quick google search Ramadam is from 9 July to 7 August 2013. I presume this would impact on our holiday if we were there during Ramadam?

We could push the flights out until after Ramadam but would it still be too hot that time of year?

Thanks

Can't imagine anything more unbearable than taking a break in the Gulf in July or August ,regardless of Ramadan.

Ramadan makes no difference to one's enjoyment -if that's the right word for roasting in 40-50C - because few people venture outside during the day.
There's no fasting at night during Ramadan -when people go out and the cafes and restaurants are buzzing all across the Moslem world. This is especially so in the Gulf during Summer when the temperature drops from an unbearable choking heat during the day to an unpleasant sweaty heat of the night .

Is there nowhere else the flight stops en route home ?

I would agree with oldnick....far too hot to be able to lie by the pool for enjoyment from May-Sept....mad dogs and Englishmen!Ramadan will have an impact....many bars will curtail the enjoyment during this period...eg...no music in bars etc...many food places/cafes etc closed during daylight hours...you will not be able to quinch that thirst with a cocktail by the pool before the sun goes down and you are allowed to resume eating/drinking/smoking in public again at 6pm ish...try another route and stopover...

+1 Having lived there for two years:
One could spend few days in dxb at that time normally, avoiding the 45+ degree heat by staying indoors if really needed, but Ramadan makes it intolerable, one can't even drink water, even smoke if inclined, in public during daylight. Have to eat breakfast and lunch in own hotel room or apartment. Will be flying via dxb to and from mel in july/august, and won't even bother stopping off to visit my sister who lives there. Great city to visit October to May though!

+1 Having lived there for two years:
One could spend few days in dxb at that time normally, avoiding the 45+ degree heat by staying indoors if really needed, but Ramadan makes it intolerable, one can't even drink water, even smoke if inclined, in public during daylight. Have to eat breakfast and lunch in own hotel room or apartment.
+1 worst times of the year to go there - July and Ramadan!

Singapore is a great stopover and a worthwhile place to visit on a trip to Oz.

Agree re Singapore, but Bangkok should also be considered. We did Singapore on the way down to Oz and Bangkok on the way back. Best of both worlds.
Singapore, incidentally, is the cleanest city I have ever visited. Everywhere spotless.
The people are far more honest than most people in the far East; one street vendor chased after us to give my wife the change form something small she bought from him. The change amounted to less than 2p in sterling.

WE did a stop-over in Bangkok, can be hot (30+) and very humid, but it is cooler than the Gulf.

By the way I went Emirates to Perth last year and found it and Dubai great. Am currently here having come Ethiad and Abu Dhabi and complete opposite, dirty, dated, delayed, no food....

Back