My water pump leaked into neighbour below

tea drinker

Hi, I had a new power shower pump fitted by reputable company.
The pump leaked once 3 weeks ago ish and the chap came back and tightened up a connection.

It has now leaked worse and possibly damaged my neighbours wooden floors.
He is directly below me.
How to proceed? I have heard the neighbour claims on block insurance, and sometimes this has a high excess which really my neighbour shouldn't pay.

Obviously I shouldn't pay either having had a pump supplied and fitted in the past few months, but I'm not going to fall out with a good neighbour over this, and if I have to I'll stump up.

Can he claim from my insurance? What about the tradesman liability?

flooring within a unit is typically not included on a block insurance policy. Was this flooring already installed when the unit was purchased? Usually anything added by a unit owner is covered by personal contents insurance.

Easiest thing to do would be to check with the OMC who should know this.

Water damage from leaks typically commands a much higher excess to prevent claims for very small items like this on what can often be a multi million euro policy. usually 3-10k which will be miles apart from the flooring cost.

If you wanted to make a contribution to your neighbour that would be very nice of you!

Thanks Lantus, I think the flooring was added later. Plumber is coming all day and finally arriving when I need to go out.

Back