Leaving job after 5 years and MD not happy

Headachecity

Hi All,

Had such a terrible morning. I should be happy going on a weeks holidays tomorrow!!:D .

Anyway, I handed in my notice at work last week after 5 years here and it's been tough, I want to stay at home with the kids and start up my own accounting service from home.
So, this morning the MD, who has not been the nicest boss, terrible moody and totally against family friendly work places- one of the many reasons I am leaving.
Thing is, after 5 years, he started shouting at me this morning about my parental leave I have taken this year- 19 days and I am not worth what he pays me and I am crap at my job etc. I am in tears. He has nearly lost massive clients over the years only for me sorting it all out. I am very good at my job, always have been, the place I left for here begged me to stay and now I realise I should have.

Thing is he said things like he pays me too much for what I do (am Accounts Manager-have no assistance & I do reception etc aswell), that my children come before my job (of course they do). I am so upset and he said it would be wiser if I need a reference not to ask him.

So, what can I do, in tears, cannot believe this after all I do in here. I am leaving mid- Sept and just cannot wait.

I dont' want to let him away with all the nasty things he said to me, so what should I do. I am so mad at myself for crying, it's just what he wanted.:eek:

Thing is, after 5 years, he started shouting at me this morning about my parental leave I have taken this year- 19 days and I am not worth what he pays me and I am crap at my job etc. I am in tears. He has nearly lost massive clients over the years only for me sorting it all out. I am very good at my job, always have been, the place I left for here begged me to stay and now I realise I should have.

Thing is he said things like he pays me too much for what I do (am Accounts Manager-have no assistance & I do reception etc aswell), that my children come before my job (of course they do). I am so upset
Sounds like he has a problem himself if he cannot deal professionally with this turn of events.
and he said it would be wiser if I need a reference not to ask him.
Does this matter if you are setting up your own business?
So, what can I do, in tears, cannot believe this after all I do in here. I am leaving mid- Sept and just cannot wait.
Do about what? Work your time out and don't put up with any bullying. What else is there to be done?

Enjoy your holidays and forget about it. Sounds like you are probably better off out of that place if that's a flavour of how the employer/boss deals with things.

come back from your hoildays and go sick until you leave, feck him! especially if you are going out on your own

It certainly sounds like you were shocked by his behaviour and the content of his barrage of abuse. And any normal person would be too!! he cannot manage people it seems or himself for that matter and this is his problem not yours. You shoudl be delighted that you are leaving this environment. you can only look forward and not backward. Smile every time you meet him until you walk out the door - drive him wild altogether!

At this stage I personally would walk out the door citing emotional stress or some such excuse and not spend another minute in the place - life is too short.

At this stage I personally would walk out the door citing emotional stress or some such excuse and not spend another minute in the place - life is too short.

Just off the phone to my husband about it and 2 of the guys that work upstairs heard the whole thing and took me out for walk, they are disgusted but not surprised. They even said to me not to come back after my holidays, just go sick. There are 2 people coming in here this afternoon for interview for my job and I am going to offer it to both of them regardless and who comes back first with the earliest start date can have this place!.

Clubman- I might need a reference as new clients might want to talk to previous employers about me etc and I really thought he would at least do me right that way!.

thanks for the replies, it's a horrible feeling being upset like this. I have walked out of here more than once over the years after certain episodes of verbal bullying from him. The only reason I stayed so long was to get my mortgage to buy my house which I have now and I can give my own business a shot aswell as being there for my kids!

He sounds completely mad, not to mention unprofessional!

He is!. He doesn't like female employess who get pregnant or have kids who might need to change their hours due to childcare. I changed mine from 9-5.30 to 10-6.30 last Sept when my son started school and he never shut up about how "flexible" he is to facilitate me. Thing is, there was not other choice for him or I was walking out the door!.
Oh I am so sick of him, he is a nasty selfish person and believes everyone is out to "do" him etc, even the staff who are loyal and here years. One of the girls let it out she was trying for a baby, big mistake he found out, he has been making her life hell. Last year, someone who had twins ended up leaving coz she worked 8-4.30 and she was made feel terrible about it and she was so stressed and upset she needed to get out of here!.
Imagine there are still people like him around!!. When I was pregnant on my 2nd I shut him up very fast by asking him how he got here and where his kids came from, he never said a word to me again!

I wouldn't worry about him for a reference if you're going to work for yourself. Just say you worked there...are people really going to ring him up and check anyway. Once you have a few clients they'll be your best reference.

I'd "go on the sick" & feck him.

You know headachecity, I think if you play coyly this could all work out to your advantage, I wouldn't go sick. Not until I had a full list of his client names that you could potentially bring to your business...!

approach him and say if his attitude doesn't change you will have to go sick due to stress in the work env and that it would really leave him in the crapper.

Friend of mine had a similar problem. On the day she left she went through the companys contacts database and changed two digits / letters in every contact phone number and e-mail address. Of course I'm not suggesting you do this, just relating what a friend did.

Headachecity, I would get references from colleagues who are doing the sort of work you will be doing privately, as these may bear more weight than a generalised "worked here, no specific issues" reference that employers tend to give out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I know I should just get a cert and run out of here. I'm too soft lending my services until someone else can start, but I have to collect my son from school in Wicklow so I won't be here all day.
I went for a walk and had a nice coffee and calmed down, you know what, when he came back from lunch I really wanted to call him that W word and burst out laughing and just walk out.
We have clients who are very fond of me and have already told me they are interested in placing their accounts and payroll services with me, so that's great.
I had a diary of work to do today before I go, but after his outburst I just cannot be bothered really. I was only doing it to be nice and be ahead of things so all that has to be done in my absence is opening the post!.

Headachecity, that is bullying. No other word for it. While its great that you are getting away from him, I certainly would not let him away with it. I dont mean be nasty or anything but before you leave you should go into his office and tell him exactly how you feel. Tell him that everyone knows that he is a bully etc and then tell him that it is constructive dismissal and you will be pursuing this further thourh your solicitor. Maybe you wont but he isnt to know that, he deserves to sweat it out for a while.

You could just turn your back on it but he'll prob just keep on doing it. He really needs to be told that he's a p***k in the nicest way possible.

Happy holidays tho! :)

or you could really stand tough on it and take him to court over harrassment and sue him! you have witnesses from today

Bob, he has been threatening with constructive dismissal once before by someone which was never followed through and he laughed about that. He thinks any employee trying that is stupid and won't get anywhere. The previous employee was talking to a solicitor but nobody would go as a witness and I said I would say what I saw but others were too afraid and started to lie.
As long as that goes on he won't change. Someone just came in for interview, lovely lady and feel so bad pretending it's an okay job in front of him and her life becoming stressed like mine!. The agency will be onto me for feedback now and I don't want to feed someone to the lions so to speak.

This guy sounds like an idiot all right but as the slob says it's bullying, [broken link removed]. Have non of it imo.

the only way to deal with bullies is stand up to them, until someone makes a firm stand it will continue. maybe the new employee wont take it, firm believer in what goes around comes around. Have a few problems with characters like this a few years back, finally bit the bullet and stood up to them, i've never seen anyone back down so fast. Hard believe but it works, so does leaving harrassment leaflets around the place. You've to spend 40 hours a week in worth no point being miserable. Thats just my feeling on it. You won't know yourself when your out of there and will look back thinking how did you stick it!!

Back