How many hours do you work?

zat29

I'd just like to see on average how many hours ppl work. My contract is for 34hours (public service) which doesnt include lunch breaks. Typically I work 8 to 4 or 9 to 5.

Are people in private industry/services expected to work more hours than they are contracted to do with no overtime pay?

Please let me know if you work for the public sector and your typical hours of work.

Me:
Hours: 8 to 4 or 9 to 5 monday to friday only, 40 hours typically, no overtime allowance and requesting time in leiu would be frowned on a regular basis.
Lunch breaks: only occasionally
Sector: Public, healthcare

Hi,

I too am employed as a healthcare professional in the public health service. My contracted hours are 39 per week, but I work 7 x twelve hour night shifts in a row and then get 7 nights off. That makes an average of 42 hours per week. I don't get paid for the extra hours at all, but can (in theory) take them as time in lieu. Unfortunately, as there is rarely anybody to cover my shifts, I don't get to take the hours back. I'm currently 'owed' over 200 hours that I can't get to take. I also have four of my six weeks annual leave still to take, again because no cover is available. I get no official breaks because I'm on call all of the time that I'm on duty. My grade is not eligible for overtime payments of any kind.
I also have to attend some meetings held during the day on my 7 nights free.

I know that there are benefits in working for the public health service, but you have to wait till you retire to get them!

Regards,
Clig.

Hi there. I have got into some very serious rows over working hours and I can tell you that there is very little legal protection. Under the "Organisation of working time Act " you can be asked to work up to 48 hours per week adveraged over a period. There is an opinion that some finincial reward should apply, but this is vague.
However they cant discriminate against you and this is covered by law. I have however pulled a sickie after long hours at work and this is one way of winning.Also if you have a resonable case and can show that you are suffering some hardship Eg poor health) due to working too many hours, people are willing to listen.
Incidently,I have worked 37.5 hour week (civil service), 80 hour week (short term well paid) & parttime 16 hour week throughout my life so far.

51.5 hours a week (often more).
20 days annual leave.
No paid sick days.
Private sector.
Well paid for all the hours I do.

If employers expect people to work over their contracted hours they should pay them overtime. They should also not ask people to do what are unreasonable hours in the context of the company or organisation that they work in.
As for being a teacher, I spend a lot of my time slagging them off but if it was that good we would all be teachers.

Hours: 37 Standard + overtime is expected to meet deadlines (this can vary anywhere from 0 hours to 40 hours a week depending)

Get paid overtime at 1.5 or overtime in lieu for all overtime & can basically take the whole summer off overtime leave if I want - you don't get that flexibility in most jobs

Private sector

Self employed, no paid hours 16th Dec till today

approx 20 hours per week
no paid hoildays
no assistance with pension

no commute
no fixed timetable
some weeks 60 hours then a few days off:)
Self assesment tax
New challange ever client

Wouldnt change it for anything

39 hrs : 8.30-5 Mon- Thurs
8.30-4 Fri
No cash for overtime but have flexitime! Core Hours 10-3pm.
Private sector.

Work 34 hours per week.
Have to start by 10.00 and cannot finish before 4.00.
Have to work a minimum of 6.5 hours per day.
Obviously lunch break is not included so I usually work 9.00 to 4.30 and take lunch for 30 mins or an hour.
Public sector.
No over time payable, then it is rare in my position.
Would occasionally work late if needed.
Have worked Saturdays and late evenings until 9.00 in the past.

Supposed to work a 40 hr week - 9 to 5:30 but ususlly work approx 55 - 60 hrs a week. No overtime pay. Private sector. Built up 25 days annual leave but I havn't managed to take the standard 20 days off yet!

private sector 9.30 to 6.00pm. however as manager I can come and go as I please.rarely stay past 5.30.

20 annual days holidays
up to 7 days sick leave paid
no overtime

work in sales, longer I work more commission I get paid,

I'm "employed" between 9-5.30 with an hours break Monday - Friday.
Dont know if it would constitute being called work!

Norrmal week I'd work 50 hours Monday to Friday - during a critical time this can increase to 80 hours per week and include Saturdays and Sundays.

My employment contract states working hours of 09:00 to 05:30 with an hour for lunch. I do not get paid overtime. I get 28 days annual leave. Paid sick days. Non-contrib DC pension.

Working in the private sector - I reckon I get well paid for the work and have an excellent bonus / profit sharing scheme

I work 9.30 - 5.30 Monday to Friday with an hour off for lunch. I don't have to save days for Christmas so end up with around 25 days holidays in the year but we all usually take a few more and no-one notices. No-one counts the amount of sick days we take either but of course we're loyal servants and don't take many! Maybe this place aint so bad to work in after all :D

Official hours 37.5 per week (health service) with half-hour lunch-breaks (usually untaken). No tea or coffee 'breaks' (again, no time). Work outside official hours is unremunerated. Paid annual leave 27 days p.a increasing to 33 days p.a. after 10 years continuous service. Contributory NHS pension (currently under direct threat) 1/80th of final year's pensionable pay for each year of contributions + lump sum 3 times the amount of yearly pension. Category: Professional. Working-conditions: difficult beyond belief, allied with fact those on whose behalf we serve consider us overpaid and underworked and begrudge funding the healthservice through their (and our!!!) taxes.

I am contracted to work 40 hrs a week, 8.30 to 5 with half an hour for lunch. Usually I work 8.30 to 5.45 or 6pm, but I dont get paid for the extra time.

I have to work an hour extra every day, just to keep up to date with the work.

I have 20 days hols a year.
I don't get sick pay or bonuses.

I work as an accountant for a small family owned company, and I get paid 28K.

Hi,
I read with interest the comments to my original post. To add more info, we also get a 20-30min coffee break at 11am and 25 days hols and good pay (whats good I hear you ask?!). I'm also allowed 5 uncertified sick days a year and god knows how many (~6weeks) certified sick leave.

I've an interesting work situation (public sector, healthcare) where many (most) people work hard, some very hard in return for no additional extras like overtime pay etc yet on the other hand there are some people working with me who do very little, feck all at times and yet get paid loads more (they are in the job longer than me)! It can be very fustrating when ppl aren't pulling their weight and there is no proper management keeping them busy!

Back