LIDL: What are they like to work for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is hilarious....rabbit are you trolling perhaps? ;)

Lidl and Aldi are BRILLIANT for their fresh fruit and veg. The quality is excellent. There are other bits n peices that I'd be happy to buy there and I shop there in the knowledge that I won't find everything I need, I won't see all the brands I want and there are always surprises in the special offer sections that intrigue me.

Fruit and veg in Tesco in my experience is terrible quality and I refuse to buy it any more. Tesco is also appalling at keeping their shelves stocked properly and I can never do a full shop there at any time. There are always several items that I can't get. I shop there because it is closest to home for me and convenience matters.

Dunnes shelves are always stocked very well and their fruit and veg is of reasonable quality but not as good as Lidl!

Whats it like to work in Lidl? Similar I'd say to working for Dunnes or Tesco. Retailing is hard work, the hours are long, in particular for managers.

And as for slagging people at BBQ's for their choice of ketchup, well I'm appalled, shocked and stunned.

So they're better quality than Sony, Philips and all the other PROPER name brands etc?
The best consumer electronics company in the world is Korean. Philips are a branding organisation having sold out their engineering soul a few years back.
My point is that branding is just that, quality is a different thing.

Brand consciousness is best left to insecure teenagers. I can just picture you in your 'Nike Air Max.'and Burberry cap Fair play to you.
I can assure you I am not an insecure teenager, and neither do I wear nike air max..or a burberry cap. Like others I know, I gave lidl the benefit of the doubt....some of their stuff was just ok, but other lidl stuff just tasted awful ( in the case of some of their food items ) or otherwise failed / broke , like the weak little zip on the lidl jeans , or the lidl mop thing. If lidl cut the specification on something simple like a jeans zip, or a mop, does it really surprise you that their electronic stuff is not as clear or the same quality as the brand name stuff ? Not only that, but a laptop I looked at in dell once was just an competitive price compared with Dell. lidl stuff is not always cheap.

My point is that branding is just that, quality is a different thing.
I agree with you there. I am not a brand name person either, I always do go for reasonable quality though. Thats why I hated it when my lidl jeans ( which I only got to work in because I knew the styling / fit would not be great ) zip broke, when my lidl mop thing broke ( it never worked great anyway ), when some lidl tools I got rusted quite quickly, when I saw the hairs kept falling out of some paintbrushes etc

This is a fact. As for which is better quality that would require an empirical study with set parameters.

I would have thought that the same tests were required to say they are even the same quality as other makes, let alone better quality?

In fact some technologys such as Sonys own brand memory sticks are not only more expensive but also more inconvenient and incompatible with anything other than a Sony.

Can you substantiate this 'claim'? Maybe this is an operator problem, as I've never had issues with any of the Sony memory sticks I've bought or used in a whole range of machines.

emotional lines taken in this thread.

You mean like:

I think you have to be a narrow minded snob

That one is particularly offensive...

When I saw what you wrote about ketchup my eyes lit up.

As for quality, I'm not clear what your thoughts on it are:

your definition of quality which I think is subjective.

This is a fact. As for which is better quality that would require an empirical study with set parameters.

My issue here is that you have hijacked a thread on working for Lidl and turned it into a thread discussing the merits of shopping in Lidl. As such I fear you have a hidden agenda and would appreciate it if you come clean on any ties you may have to Lidl or indeed Aldi. Equally, you show little interest in having a reasoned debate on quality.

Righto, personal experience here:
I bought a laptop from Lidl 3.5 years ago and it cost the same as a much LESSER specced machine from Dell, HP, Acer etc. It also had a full accessory kit and laptop bag. The chip was AMD, the HDD was Samsung etc. Took a load of use/abuse (including surviving a beer spillage and a 4 ft drop onto a wooden floor) until the motherboard gave up eventually...1 month out of warranty.
I bought a 19" LCD monitor from Aldi which cost the same price as a 17" monitor in a Dell package, approx 20% less than a comparable monitor in Tesco. It died after approx 18 mths. I rang the helpline, explained the issue and had a replacement (newer spec) monitor couriered to my house within a week. Original monitor had inherent flaw I reckon and new one is better quality (with built in speakers) and excellent clarity. Fantastic value.
I also bought a tower PC for use as a home entertainment PC. Similar spec machines (again from Dell, Compaq etc, similar middle of the road standard) were significantly dearer. The components are the same and I use mine connected to a HD telly and use it as a web, downloading PC, music & movie repository and DVD player.
I work in IT so I'm not a fool when it comes to techie stuff, but Aldi and Lidl is great value for that stuff.
I also agree about the Fruit, veg, milk, bog roll, wines, pastas, rice, cleaning stuff, breads, cereals, juices etc.

I think there are a lot of people out there who could be accurately described as Label Snobs and will only buy something if it has the right label.

Rabbit, I'd love to do a blind taste test with you and ketchup from across the board.

Anyway, keep going to Tesco/Superquinn/wherever and keep the Lidl/Aldi carpark thet little bit easier to park in.

just wondering if any of the mods are on line as i cannot see how this thread should be allow stay open - it has descended into a slagging match!!! other threads have been shut down for less

just wondering if any of the mods are on line as i cannot see how this thread should be allow stay open - it has descended into a slagging match!!! other threads have been shut down for less

If you note I already said this yesterday. What Heinz ketchup, motherboards, memory sticks and and marine rope (!) have to do with working for Lidl is beyond me. I did see a huge bottle of Heinz tomato sauce in Lidl on Saturday for €2.99, does this help? This is a most bizzare thread to say the least and I cant for the life of me fathom it?

OK, as has been noted, this is clearly way off-topic. Could people, particularly Rabbit, please keep to the topic at hand, side tracking the thread in such a manner does nothing to help the OP.
Leo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back