Incident at work, views please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta go, this should keep the thread going for about another 5 pages now!!!!!

....well since you asked....... but let me summise....

- Boss tells you to get back to work
- you want to speak with her
- she says no & tells you to get out of her office
- you go to union, personnel & your GP....... did you do that before attempting to speak with her again?
.... I wonder if she had shouted at you would you have a claim for deafness also?

(mods: savoury ref removed by poster)

Has this happened more than once? Has your fellow employee filed a complaint seeing as she was involved too?
I have a good job in the private sector and no jealously of the civil service. I've turned down a civil service position recently as it wasn't worth my while to take it, salary wise. So don't assume that people who disagree with you are just jealous.
If this was a once off then you are over reacting and I wouldn't like to see how you perform under stress. If it is not a one off then that is a different story but you really need to give the whole story in order to get good, sound advice.

Let's go back to the original post for a minute:

Manager stops us and says, " are you girls going to be talking all afternoon?"

I answered "no". Manager says "well good because there is plenty of work to be done now get on with it".
That is a very nice way of telling people that they were chatting too much. The Manager handled this very, very well. A gentle reminder - no more, no less. There was no shouting. No name calling.

What does the OP want her to have done? Call them in separately and make a much bigger issue out of it?

The manager faced a situation where all four of her staff were chatting about personal issues at the one time. Maybe she should have told the other two to hang up the phone immediately and called an instant meeting to make her point formally and strongly?

maybe if the manager replace the 4 employees with 4 nice plants the office would be more productive and reduce the carbon footprint to boot?

I was the one who mentioned "barging" into the office. I did not mean bursting through the door and was only trying to convey the fact that the OP was in the office when the manager did not want her there. To hone in on this "barging" issue is a red herring. Look at the substantive issues...as Brendan said the OP was warned in a reasonable fashion for openly chatting about non work topics with a new employee. The fact that this has escalated to mediation with unions and doctors involved is bizarre, as given what I have read the manager did very little wrong. I'd dismiss the rubbish posted about jealousy and the civil service as it's clearly designed to provoke other posters. Given the facts as they've been presented, the attempted provocation of other posters, and the structure of the posts I believe this is a wind up. If it's not, then the OP is behaving disgracefully.

Oh I really think some people are getting really carried away here and need to come down off their high horse.The manager acted unprofessionally and that is the bottom line. She should apologise which i'm sure Moesha would be more than happy to accept.By the way to all of the 'non-issue' people do your bosses or managers know how much time you are spending on AAM?

Exactly... Fifty lashes to the OP for wasting our tax dollars:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Would your replies be different if the OP was not a Civil Servant?

No.
This is a non issue. The OP needs to grow up and get on with it. I know I've said worse to my employees (and they've said worse to me!).
In my opinion the OP is being childish and self indulgent. She was in the wrong and was embarrassed that she was told off in front of the new girl but that's not her bosses fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back