correct method for knocking supporting wall?

kimkim

Hi,

I have just recieved a quote from a guy to knock a solid wall between my living room and kitchen to put in double doors. He advertised himself as 'construction' but it turns out he is a carpenter who can do small construction jobs. I am just concerned about the way he said he would knock the wall. He said he would start knocking from the bottom and support it from underneath as he goes up (finishing with putting in a concrete beam). Is this the correct way? The quote he gave was very reasonable but don't want to risk getting a botch job done either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kimkim.

is the supporting wall on the first floor???..... if so the supporting mechanism must be brought up from the ground floor....

the correct way is to drill holes over the area where the new lintel will be placed and support bars are placed through this... these bars are then supported by 'acro's'...... the removal of the ope can then proceed, the new lintel incorporated and the support bars and acros then removed....

you havent really described how he proposes to support the wall / roof during this process...

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Its a ground floor solid wall. I'm not familiar with construction or with any of the terms, so all I can tell you is that he said he would put in supports under the wall as he knocked it from the bottom up, inceasing the height of the supports as he knocked upwards. There was no mention of supporting over the area where the new lintel will be placed, as you suggested, although I thought that this might be the more correct method. Should I be concerned that ths guy doesn't know what he's doing or is his way just a different, but equally safe and effective, method? ...

If in doubt get a properly qualified professional (brickie) on the job. Not worth the risk of undermining the structural integrity of the property, its value or your safety! Maybe get a surveyor/architect to give an opinion too.

Also make sure anyone who does it has proper insurance.... you want more than sorry if you house falls down....

Thanks all, think I'd prefer pay the extra few bob and get a professional and not be living in fear of my house falling down on top of me.

I am looking for someone to do the same job in north Dublin. Can anyone pm a recommendation please.

Also how much should I expect to pay.

sydthebeats technique is the correct one. i definitely wouldnt start at the bottom. the very first thing to do is get the lintel in and then take out the wall.
an alternative to using a con-saw which will destroy your house with dust, is to drill loads of holes around the outline and then kango it out from the top. an sds drill will do the drilling and also works as a mini kango. if the plaster is destroyed, the simplest fix is to sheet both sides with plasterboard and then get it skimmed. btw how much were you quoted?

The way to do this is support the roof above either side using scaffolding planks held up suing 3 or 4 acro's either side

This will support the ceiling above and stop it from landing on your head and then he can remove the section of wall where the doors are going. It then makes it quite easy to install the lintel or RSJ.

The Best way would be to remove the section of wall would be a con saw the opening as this would not damage or weaken the wall either of the new opening in the wall. The problem as another poster is this would destroy your house with dust. Next best would drill and key out the blocks using a drill and a saber saw.

On a personal note I would remove the whole wall the put in a supporting rsj and frame the wall

The way to do this is support the roof above either side using scaffolding planks held up suing 3 or 4 acro's either side

This will support the ceiling above and stop it from landing on your head and then he can remove the section of wall where the doors are going. It then makes it quite easy to install the lintel or RSJ.

we do not know what this wall is supporting ie struts, purlins, etc so supporting the ceiling is simply not enough, you have to support the wall over the new ope..... its not the ceiling id worry about falling on my head, it would be the rest of the house!!

This is precisely the information I have been looking for also. Thanks a million to everyone who puts the time and effort into helping other .... I would have been clueless for what to ask about getting this job done.

Top marks to askaboutmoney posters once again !!!

Back