redundancy package

ontheup

hi ,i currently work for a multinational company who are making 300 hundred workers redundant,the redundancy package offered is statutory + 6 weeks ex gratia weeks per year upto a total of 104 weeks.
the question is does anybody know of any company in ireland who have offered a better package than this?

ps .could you share some details of any added extras ie.pension ontributions ,vhi etc

Sounds like a hell of a package already... heard of 5 weeks on the news for the Thomas Cook workers.

my mate is being made redundant and is getting 10 weeks per year from EMC.

Last edited:
6 weeks is generous. 10 is pretty much unheard of. Your EMC mate is getting a very unusual deal.

You are looking for a precedent to get even more than the v. generous package offered. You want to screw a multinational that no doubt paid you v. well for many yrs and is paying you a redundancy package way above the statutory requirement.

Greed has killed Ireland in so many ways.

5 weeks plus stat where I work. Also a E2500 training incentive thrown in for anybody to do a course.

Guys in our place were given six weeks which seems pretty good. OP would want to check citizens info bureau with regard to additional benefits available.

I almost feel out of my chair when I heard that the Thomas Cook employees who are illegally occupying the TC offices were offered 5 weeks per year of service and want 8. Incredible.

I almost feel out of my chair when I heard that the Thomas Cook employees who are illegally occupying the TC offices were offered 5 weeks per year of service and want 8. Incredible.

Given the fact that the CEO got a €7m bonus this year and a 34% pay rise, I actually don't have a problem with them looking for an increased redudancy package

hi ,i currently work for a multinational company who are making 300 hundred workers redundant,the redundancy package offered is statutory + 6 weeks ex gratia weeks per year upto a total of 104 weeks.
the question is does anybody know of any company in ireland who have offered a better package than this?

ps .could you share some details of any added extras ie.pension ontributions ,vhi etc

I would bet I work for the same multinational company as you based on the figures you have used above. This will be the first forced redundancy the company has ever done if it is the same one. Previous to this it has had 4 Voluntary programs over the past 10 years and the package has always been the same 6 weeks + 2 statutory. I think its a pretty generous package (especially when you think of companys like Dell or SR technics) and it won't change.

I would bet I work for the same multinational company as you based on the figures you have used above. This will be the first forced redundancy the company has ever done if it is the same one. Previous to this it has had 4 Voluntary programs over the past 10 years and the package has always been the same 6 weeks + 2 statutory. I think its a pretty generous package (especially when you think of companys like Dell or SR technics) and it won't change.

If that is the case, a similer company on the other side of Leixlip offers 5 weeks + statutory

6 weeks is great guys..I use to work for that same multi national and the benefits and that package is far better that most other companies in Ireland..and the pay. My current company had forced redundancy and have 1 week plus stat.. yes I said 1 week..!! I wasent picked thank god..them idiots in Thomas cook should cop on to reality..

You are looking for a precedent to get even more than the v. generous package offered. You want to screw a multinational that no doubt paid you v. well for many yrs and is paying you a redundancy package way above the statutory requirement.

I think that's a bit over the top, everyone should try and get the best package they can for themselves. Statutory redundancy isn't much and I assume the multinational has been making plenty of money with our low corporation tax base, which has gone abroad.

OP 6 weeks is very good. But if you've worked for say 20 or 30 years and the cap is 104 is is not then 6 weeks extra.

People can negotiate for extra pension payments, company car to be handed over, health care taken care of for next year etc. Whatever is the most tax efficient way etc.

I think that's a bit over the top, everyone should try and get the best package they can for themselves. Statutory redundancy isn't much and I assume the multinational has been making plenty of money with our low corporation tax base, which has gone abroad.
Thomas Cook has been losing money for at least the past 5 years running. There's a reason they are letting people go. But don't let that get in the way of your "analysis".

going off the question here..
but the company has made over a billion net profits in the last 3 months
the pay is average without being spectacular and for that you will work
weekends and nights.have years of zero rises"pay cut".they are also the biggest benificary of ida grants 260 million.so who is being greedy the workers who made these profits or the company.

going off the question here..
but the company has made over a billion net profits in the last 3 months
the pay is average without being spectacular and for that you will work
weekends and nights.have years of zero rises"pay cut".they are also the biggest benificary of ida grants 260 million.so who is being greedy the workers who made these profits or the company.

Ontheup

Again I only refer to the company I work for which I do believe is the same one your refering to,.

The overall company has made a profit which is very low in comparisons to previous yearly profits made by this company. No surprise in the current economic climate. BUT the part of the company which I work is a sperate entity to other areas of the company and this has been working at a loss due to loss of orders and being over headcount and costs for the orders they have. Hence the redundancys and cost cutting which are currently going on.

The pay is above average IMO and the reason I have worked here for the past 10 years is because I would be hard pressed to get paid similar wages in another company,

True about the zero pay increases but there have been NO paycuts and I earn the same wage as I earned 2 years ago!!

I have no doubt that by forcing these redunacys the company is doing whats best for itself and not for us and I totally agree in getting the best package available but i think we truely are. I hope I will be fortunate enough to be kept on in Oct and I think based on my previous work record I probably will. If not I'll take my 8 weeks a year and move on. Its all I can do.

Back