Midget Moth Problem

Ireland.1

Midget Moth Problem:
I haven't a clue were they have come from. House is spotless clean. Quite embarrasing actually. Can anyone recommend a good remedy please apart from moth balls.

how strange - i was logging on with the same question !

Ive no idea where theyve come. There doesnt seem to be so many at the moment but there was quite a lot .

so any remedies would be helpful ?

mine are actually moths just not the big ones you usually see in the evenings.

Yes, the same here. The smallest of smallest moths. I was bitten by one:eek:

I've tried searching on the internet. Most sites said check any fabrics, old clothes or carpets. I haven't any carpets. I've checked all my clothes and there ain't no holes in them either! So I have absolutly no idea were they are coming from. I've tried the old wives tales but they are still around. So far fly killer seems to be the only thing that is working but its still not eliminating them entirly.

Forgot to mention I had them visit me last year as well ~sigh~

They bite ??? ive managed to swat most of them but some one has suggested burning tea tree oil so might try that

Get in a pest controller to eliminate them.

If they are the moth which eats clothes, they will do a lot of damage.

Brendan

these sound like clothes moths. they seem to be particularly flúirseach this year and will do lots of damage to clothes wool books paper and feathers. they are small moths which fly by day and there seems to be a smaller one too. they can't bite so i'd say the person who was bitten was bitten by a midge while watching the moth. midges seem to invading houses as well these days and not always at dusk
rigourous hoovering, disinfecting and clothes washing and airing are the best means of combat, together with strong smelling substances like camphor, tea tree, mugwort lavender etc. they will prosper in dark warm dampish areas, carpeted or not. lots of work to get rid of them.

midget moths

nope,snowy. myself and some other friends are just about plagued with them lately. one of my friends has just about got the better of them by an obsessive campaign of hoovering washing airing and scenting. me - i just scream and swat!

I'm delighted to hear its not only me with the problem! My god its embarrasing when anyone comes in! Don't waste money on moth balls. I find they didn't work at all. The smell from them was just dreadful. Thanks for all the tips.

You mean midges, I'm sure
I love how Irish people invariably pronounce this as midgets: 'swarms of midgets in the garden', 'I've got a few midget bites on my This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language' etc. Sorry, I digress...

No, the OP means midget moth, this was confirmed early on in the thread.

from wikipedia:

Nepticulidae is a family of very small moths with a worldwide distribution. They are characterised by eyecaps over the eyes (see also Opostegidae, Bucculatricidae, Lyonetiidae).

These pigmy moths or midget moths, as they are commonly known, include the smallest of all living moths, with a wingspan that can be as little as 3 mm. in the case of the European Pigmy Sorrel Moth.

enteucha_acetosae_RJmale.gif

That is exactly it Ajapale.

I have yet to see any damage to woolen clothes as yet but they have left their mark on internal walls which will need to be repainted. Generally a pest by all accounts.

Back