How much cash can you take on a plane

NewEdition

You hear stories of people being "caught" by customs with large quantities of cash on them.
What is a legal or permittable amount to carry?

If it belongs to you and you can prove it, is there a problem?

Personal safety/security issues aside, I am interested to know the acceptable figure.

Hello hellohello!
Thanks for that.
I intend on taking quite a bit more than 10k for the purchase of a vehicle within the EU.

So if I declare it, will I be charged a fee or something, or it it just for their records etc?

Hi,

Why not travel with someone and then the limit would be double if they took half the cash ?

I'd put a quick call in before I traveled, odds are they get these calls quite regularly with people considering buying a car in the UK etc.

My guess would be that if they do want anything more than a form completed, they only want evidence of your source of funds and also perhaps a copy of your ID.

Hi,

Why not travel with someone and then the limit would be double if they took half the cash ?

Don't do that, this might actually raise a suspicion you are trying to hide money laundering. If the transaction needs to be reported and the funds are from a legitimate source and for a legitimate purpose then there would be no issue with just making the necessary report.

Don't do that, this might actually raise a suspicion you are trying to hide money laundering. If the transaction needs to be reported and the funds are from a legitimate source and for a legitimate purpose then there would be no issue with just making the necessary report.

I disagree.

One could easily explain it was a security precaution that they were carrying the money between two people.

Anyway, the rules state someone can carry up to €10k per person as I understand it.

I disagree.

One could easily explain it was a security precaution that they were carrying the money between two people.

Anyway, the rules state someone can carry up to €10k per person as I understand it.

And while they're busy explaining, the money is potentially seized, causing an awful lot of unnecessary hardship and delay...

And while they're busy explaining, the money is potentially seized, causing an awful lot of unnecessary hardship and delay...

I'd say there's about as much chance as there would be of the plane or boat being hijacked ;) ... lets just agree to differ on this one :)

I'd say there's about as much chance as there would be of the plane or boat being hijacked ;) ... lets just agree to differ on this one :)

Might not happen but it's a risk and an entirely unnecessary one.

Do you drive to the shop without your seatbelt on because you're unlikely to crash/be spotted by a Garda..?

Back