why are so many paying the Household charge early?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOAH

I am gobsmacked, in fact I can't understand it, I am totally numb, I find it unbelievable, if it is true, that people are falling over themselves to pay this government, no better than the last by a long shot,

€100.00 in advance by 3 months!! We don't pay our motor tax in advance, or other bills!

So why this?

When the proper charge is introduced next year and its between €800 - €4,000 will the same thing happen??

All I can say is... unbelievable

noah

I will pay it early for a couple of reasons:

I am going to have to pay it by the end of March, so by paying it now I can forget about it and not have to worry about missing the deadline.

I fully agree that we need to raise more money than we are and that a property tax of some form is a good idea. The more people that are seen to be paying willingly the less attention will be given to the "I'm not paying" brigade.

I got double pay for working some bank holidays over Christmas, I have it now, I might not have it in March and then incur penalties.

That’s that bill out of the way till next year.

I am also perplexed, by the efforts to which people are prepared to go, in order to pay. Trying several times to read the capcha, or having several goes because the site crashes, making long phone calls etc. I don't understand the desperation to pay.
Why aren't people waiting until the site is sorted out and all objections solved?

I created an account and paid yesterday, no problems whatsoever, I’d say it took 4 minutes start to finish.

As I now have an account next year’s payment will probably take less than 1 minute.

Some people re paying early because there is a political push on to show acceptance of the charge.

We hear that 800 have paid, 1200 have paid, 2000 have paid ..... like acceptance is on the up. Nothing is said about the estimated 1.7 million people who have not paid.

How many of the early payers are dependent on the coalition for a living in the form of patronage? How many are well-heeled and will have no worries even when the charge soars.

thanks for reply. well at least you wont forget next years and I can bet you wont pay 1000 as quickly!!

but a piece of advice, never ever pay up front for anything

we are shooting ourselves in the foot by rolling over and letting this shower run roughshod over us. As an aside don't you find it amazing that our IR department only now decide to chase down pensions?

happy new year

i was typing when other posts came in and exactly my thoughts. people falling over themselves to pay a government that failed on very single promise given. lets see how many pay up as quick next year. in fact i think its all lies

and rememeber the adage, well they must have money, no problem paying up so lets go for the kill next time

noah

ps i am still gobsmacked and will be so for a very long time, this sets a bad precedent, they will do the same with water charges, mark my words

I strongly, strongly support a property tax. I always have.

I do not agree with repaying the bank senior bonds.

I realise that taxes must rise for all people.

I saw the link to www.householdcharge.ie, said to myself I'll have a look, and within a few mins I paid it.

I did not set out that morning to pay it, just came across the link to the website while browsing AAM or some other website.

I also started my SSIA early, unlike many people who left it until the last week.

By the way, loads of people are NOT paying the HC early, sure less than 10,000 have probably paid this week.

I have registered for the household charge. I will pay it closer to the 31st March deadline. I don't pay any bills 12 weeks in advance.

I have paid mine without problems.
I decided to get it out of the way while I had a few bob handy.
It will have to be paid anyway.

Rgds
Billo

I got it out of the way too, but via DD starting in March. Just one thing I don't have to think about, it's done and dusted.

I always endeavour to address bills when they arrive rather than when they have to be paid by, I also always try to address them at the start of the month where feasible.

I spotted the site on AAM (thanks to PetrolHead) and decided to investigate.

I didn't have any problem registering and having checked that there were no additional costs for paying by direct debit I decided there and then to set up my a/c. It took a few minutes.

I wasn't in any particular hurry to pay.

Paying by DD doesn't seem too painful (this year) in that the payments are spread over the year.

I have never had a bad experience paying by DD on my current a/c. Almost all my bills are paid by DD. I have cancelled DDs in the past without problem.

Marion

So, Protocol you "strongly ,strongly support" property charges ? - which we know may soon run into several hundred euros.

Does your support waiver if one owns a property but actually owes the bank more than the property is worth ? -as is the case with tens of thousands of property owners.

Does it matter that many property owners may be old people on a pension or small income who live in a valuable house? I suppose the answer is for them to leave the house they've spent their lives in and get a small apartment?

Should a Dublin property owner on the same salary as a Mayo dweller pay twice the property tax of the Mayoman on the basis that the Dublin property costs twice a much as the Mayo one? (and probably is still struggling to pay the higher price of the Dublin house).

Last edited:
There should be a property tax and being in negative equity doesn't justify non payment of the tax.

€100 per annum is nothing.

When it rises to its true level, people on very low incomes should be partially exempted from the tax.

Blood from a stone!

Does it matter that many property owners may be old people on a pension or small income who live in a valuable house? I suppose the answer is for them to leave the house they've spent their lives in and get a small apartment?

Totally agree oldnick I am living on the old age pension, have worked all my life to get a valuable property. Are people that naive to think that they will pay E100 this year and maybe E200 next year? Within 3 or 4 years they will be forced to pay thousands! If we don't pay they will add on penalties and interest and then what? take our property when we die? What's next, water charges! If older people have a valuable property and are only on a state pension, where do they get the money from? You can't get blood from a stone! I have paid taxes all my life, including 68 percent in the '80. I've paid my dues!!

Cannot see what the rush to pay this is for, sad to see people wanting to hand over money in any form to this government.
It is only playing into their hands to see how glad homeowners are to pay up a 100€ tax so quickly.
Would there be a rush to pay if it were 500€ as it may well be in a short while? Paying this so quickly will only serve to have the charge increased year on year.

Why will they not issue a geniune bill to the household? I don't pay bills unless they arrive in my letter box.
Think FG have shot themselves in the foot on this and chasing the "Silver Surfers" for tax on their pensions, can't wait to see the papers tomorrow.
Being a great start to the new year already with all the other increases, no pub for me for a year until they change the vat rate.

"there should be a property tax "

Why should there be ? Why should people be fined (taxed) every year for having saved to buy a property ?

"negative equity does not justify non-payment"

On the basis that property tax will be introduced on a sliding scale of value....
Peter has a house worth €200k and owes nothing. Peter pays €400 p.a. property tax.
Paul has a €300k house, but owes €500k to the bank - so actually he is €400k poorer in property terms than Peter, yet pays €800 property tax ?? !!.

Please, Gekko,could you explain why this is fair -or even economically sensible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back