Key Post Get a Visa Electron card now - they are being phased out

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Net+ 'virtual' card is operated either directly through their website or by means of a desktop application that you download and install. It generates a once-off 16-digit number and security code that you enter for the purposes of online purchases just as you would the details of any MasterCard. You can use this as soon as you provide satisfactory ID and upgrade your Neteller account to an 'Extended' account (and lodge some money to it, of course). So it's like a virtual debit card that is recognised by any site that takes MasterCard. Except Ryanair, as I discovered only when I tried to use it to book flights! :(

To book Ryanair flights without attracting the handling fee, you have to use a 'real', plastic prepaid Mastercard. The Neteller one is supposed to arrive in the post 10-15 business days after you've upgraded your account.

It doesn't help that they refer to them both as 'Net+ prepaid MasterCards'.

Okay so you can actually get this physical plastic card that works with Ryanair from Neteller then - does this attract a charge to get it? Funding the account seems to be free as far as I can tell.....

Free if you do it from your bank account (2-5 business days, but in practice I found it faster - funds were there next day)
1.75% if you use a credit card or Maestro card (instant)
[broken link removed]

The card is free to get, and free to use for POS transactions in the same currency as your account.
But they charge €4 per ATM withdrawal and a 2.95% FX commission.
[broken link removed]

The Neteller account also has what they call an [broken link removed] — about the only 'gotcha', as far as I can see:
If you do not use your NETELLER account for 14 months you will be charged an Inactive Administrative Fee up to $30 USD. This fee will be charged annually until you use your account or the account balance reaches zero. Account use is defined as any deposit, transfer to or from a merchant, withdrawal or Net+ Card purchase.

It seems that if you manage to get a Visa Electron card before they're phased out, it will no longer save on Ryanair charges:

From the Sunday Express last weekend:

RYANAIR passengers who book flights using a Visa Electron debit card face charges of £5 each way from the start of next year.

This method of payment has until now been free, and many who fly regularly with the airline have applied for such cards specifically to avoid having to pay this levy.

(I presume the £5 will be €5 here)
This thread has effectively turned from being about the phasing out of the Visa Electron card to being about the various potential alternatives (particularly for use with Ryanair), so to avoid duplication/dispersion of info I'm closing it and referring further discussion to this thread: Pre paid Mastercard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back