How is the current car market?

Just thought I'd give an update. We bought a used car this morning from a main dealer. He wanted 7500 but I haggled (7k was my limit). However, the best I could get him to (and I generally pride myself on being good at this haggling lark so it was disappointing) was 7250. At that point I left, saying that I wasn't prepared to pay that. I think the fact that he let me go shows that he knows he would shift the car easily to someone else. Anyway, after some discussion we decided to buy it anyway at that price because it was a very good car. He said that they are low on used car stock. I guess if no on is buying new cars then they are not trading in ones that are a few years old (this is an 06).

Depends on the car of course but broadly speaking 7250 doesn't sound bad at all for an 06.

Meh, if youre worried about oil consumption get a Micra, otherwise the RX-8 is to be driven like it was stolen!

Defo on the RX. Drove one once and was in 3rd at 92mph befor saw the digital readout on the clock. The salesman was so not impressed. Did slow down dramatically then tho :eek: . MPG not for the fainthearted tho'

Well, the obvious alternative is the MX-5.

But maybe you are one of the "they are girly" brigade :p

What happened to the "rake" Caveat ( see flanders' thread link) You find a country girl yet ? :p

Yeah, in fact in this thread I stated exactly that: "The MX5 is a girls car though, in all fairness :)"

Since the other thread, have you gotten around to actually driving one ?

Since the other thread, have you gotten around to actually driving one ?

No but ive test driven a few RX-8s though :D.

Might test an MX-5 for the laugh on Saturday. Tested an Audi TT last weekend, awful car. It felt like I was actually in a coffin, and not even a comfortable coffin!

No but ive test driven a few RX-8s though :D.

Might test an MX-5 for the laugh on Saturday. Tested an Audi TT last weekend, awful car. It felt like I was actually in a coffin, and not even a comfortable coffin!

I always thought the TT was gorgeous but have never been in one. From what you said it just shows how sometimes ones perceptions of a car from viewing it and then actually being in it can change that view.

PS on on take a 5 for a run, go on go on go on ya will ya will :D. Just remember take it on some twisty roads. Or if you ever in Cork let me know, could take you for a run & might be able to convert you in person.

Cheers :D

This was an 04 TT - I think the newer ones are a bit bigger. Yeah tis hard to get a good windy road in Dublin for testing :mad:

people are still buying if the car is priced correctly!

i out my 2005 BMW 320d (new shape) up on www.donedeal.ie last wednessday 14th , and i had about 6 emails and the first guy to view it bought it on the sunday!

Finally bought my Rx8. Based on first two weeks driving I reckon about 400km to the tank of petrol, if youre into such measurements :D

and the tank is, what, about 60L ?
That's not bad going....is that long runs ?

For goodness sake man, REV IT !

Finally bought my Rx8. Based on first two weeks driving I reckon about 400km to the tank of petrol, if youre into such measurements :D

Yeah with a bit more "spirited" driving you should have that down to 300km per tank ;)

Yeah about 60L for a tank.

That measurement was on based on a trip from Galway to Dublin, which used half the tank. I was expecting a doubling of my fuel bill from the Corolla so its about right but the RX8 is class :D

To the OP.
Advertise in local free adds and supermarkets etc.
Try and sell your fiat before x-mas as the new car prices for a lot of models and makes are being reduced in2010,This will probably have a cascading effect on the secondhand market.
I look(and dream ) at a lot of cars on the net and found Waterford city very cheap compared to a lot of places.
Most garages are not interested in trade in because apart from their forecourts they probably have another storage area full of cars.
If you buy private make sure you check that there is no HP interest on the car as you may be buying trouble.
If you haven't purchased already --good luck and if you have --well wear :)

Back