RTE Report re Man With Gun in Dundrum

Spear

RTE had a report for a few seconds this evening (around 4.45pm) regarding a man with a gun in the Dundrum area. It is now gone from the RTE website, but a Google search shows a shadow of the report:

Gardaí respond to report of man with gun in Dublin - RTÉ News

www.rte.ie/news/2013/1204/490900-dundrum/

12 mins ago - Gardaí have sealed off an area in Dundrum in Co Dublin after a man was seen with a gun in a car. Reports that a shot was fired at the scene, ...

Does anyone know anything about what's going on? I'm thinking about how safe it is to go home on the Luas.

Dont think it is a hoax. Heard brief news item to the effect already mentioned.

Ok; thanks - seems to be somewhat contained. It wasn't clear from the first report whether he was runing around on the loose or whatever!

No problem. I actually got the luas to Windy Arbour (arriving there a bit before 4:30) this evening, and I didn't see anything except a garda car but I had the headphones on and so on.

This explains why the reports disappeared

Gardaí asked for a ‘media blackout’ — requesting no reporting of the incident. As the operation continued they discounted earlier reports that the man had fired on members of the force.

Hello,

I guess it's going to be some time before we know the full story here, if ever, but the story seems to be evolving from initial reports (pre media blackout) that there was possibly a man shooting at other people ... to now what appears more likely to be a possible attempted suicide.

A very sad and alarming story regardless of the circumstances, needless to say.

Interesting quote from The Journal, linked by a fellow poster below:

He was said to be in a “distressed” state and sitting in a car. It’s believed he was armed with a legally held 9mm pistol.

My understanding is that there are very few legally held 9mm pistols in this country and particularly, if we exclude the armed forces (be it army, navy, armed gardai etc). I wonder how The Journal confirmed this piece of information so quickly ? ... if anything, I would have guessed it was more likely to be illegally held, given the calibre etc.

Back