why are so many paying the Household charge early?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bronte, where are you?

@so-crates

you have got it all wrong. the household charge wont go towards our debt or services. The correct approach that this government or any government is to cut those cost we as a country cannot afford and that is PAY for the public service. We are borrowing money to pay the public service salaries!!

In fact I cant believe you are serious in what you have posted. All the services we are now been charged for were already included in the tax take. In other words we are now paying twice.

I can gurantee you that until we cut the pay of the public sector we will never get out of this mess. And at the same time make the rich pay a lot more in taxes but as the saying goes , it will never happen.

noah

I'm also for a property tax and water charges. If they bring in water charges we will be able to invest in the water infrastructure

I think it is optimistic bordering on naive to think that this is where the revenue will be spent. It is more likely to be redirected to pay the vulgar pensions of the buffoons that have recently left office.

And at each election vote out the buffoons until we have those willing to be elected on a fairer system

Isn't that what we did at the last election, but all we did was replace like with like... I can't see anyone up there in the Dáil who is of any use.. no one to stand up for the people, no one that makes the hard decisions, all wishy-washy & cronyism is alive & well... I thought that this government would be better, a few months into it - still nothing, just more lies, more empty promises... oh how naive I was...

Noah,
You are wasting your time, members like Protocol, socrates, clubman, jasconius, bronte and a few more I care to remember seem to be guardians of the status quo. Review other threads. Its almost like they are in the same room. Who on earth would advocate more taxes, after loosing our sovereignty, bailing out the very banks who are illegally threatning people with repo, and not only that, but pay them early without challenging it? I'll tell you who, those who are self satisfied and most likely debt free and strive to glide through life on the rest of our backs.

This tax is unjustifiable, hysterically disproportionate and down right WRONG.
whinging on about other countries have it and we dont does not make it fair. Do they have VRT? Dont think so, so unless you are going to make comparisons, make fair ones. Water charges? The plannet is covered in it, it falls from the sky and if there is one thing Ireland aint got a shortage of its water, its like having a snow tax for the eskimos.

And for the record, RTE's pathetic propaganda to portray the thousands of people flocking up to pay this is down right arrogant and an insult to anyone intellegence. Those who have paid are either debt fee or almost debt free or just sucumbed to fear. I have actually not met ONE person who said they are paying this. Most of us already pay management fees of 100 p/m with no tax credits on top of our mortgage and now this? I'll be working till I'm 80 at this rate!

All I can say is I pitty the younger generation.

Who on earth would advocate more taxes, after loosing our sovereignty, bailing out the very banks who are illegally threatning people with repo, and not only that, but pay them early without challenging it? I'll tell you who, those who are self satisfied and most likely debt free and strive to glide through life on the rest of our backs.
I’m in favour of more taxes like this and less tax on work. I’m neither debt free or strive to glide through life on anyone’s back. I can be a bit self satisfied on occasion.

This tax is unjustifiable, hysterically disproportionate and down right WRONG.
whinging on about other countries have it and we dont does not make it fair. Do they have VRT? Dont think so, so unless you are going to make comparisons, make fair ones. Water charges? The plannet is covered in it, it falls from the sky and if there is one thing Ireland aint got a shortage of its water, its like having a snow tax for the eskimos.
We pay less tax per head (taking everything onto account) than most other Western European countries. Water gets treated and piped to your house. That costs a lot of money.

Those who have paid are either debt fee or almost debt free or just sucumbed to fear.
Wrong again. I’m paying because it’s my duty as a citizen.

All I can say is I pity the younger generation.
So do I; the people running this country since Bertie took over have ruined it.

There should be a property tax and being in negative equity doesn't justify non payment of the tax.

€100 per annum is nothing.

When it rises to its true level, people on very low incomes should be partially exempted from the tax.

To some it is nothing, however say this to a friend of mine who had to borrow money from parents for their kids christmas presents.

100 euros is a lot to them!

Why should people be fined (taxed) every year for having saved to buy a car?

Negative equity is an unfortunate result of people's speculation in relation to the property market. The very people constantly going on about negative equity would be a lot quieter if they were in the money now (i.e. if the bubble kept inflating).

It wasn't all speculation, many bought as at the time it was cheaper than to rent. Not done to make a quick buck as you are seeming to state but to actually live in.

Are the Government departments eg. Tax office so quick to pay money before it is due?

I set up a DD coz I like getting bills out of the way, and I agree that such taxes are necessary . Actually like lots here, I believe in being a good citizen and pulling my weight.

Having said that, I feel ambivalent about how the government will use this. Past performance of governments in managing the country has been poor to say the least. Overpaid incompetent managers (both politicians and CS) who can't or won't do a decent job, or never get fired if they mess up (Cardiff comes to mind), or who won't go after the tax-dodgers or the perhaps criminally incompetent previous politicians or their pensions leave me livid and disinclined to contribute.

The recent pensions debacle is a case in point. People on PAYE for yrs, Revenue and Welfare don't talk to each other, and then blame the old folks,coz they didn't do their job properly - all for €47 million which is probably what will be paid in Revenue overtime and A&E visits by old people after all the shock of recent weeks. This post will be deleted if not edited immediately wept.

I set up a DD coz I like getting bills out of the way, and I agree that such taxes are necessary . Actually like lots here, I believe in being a good citizen and pulling my weight.

Having said that, I feel ambivalent about how the government will use this. Past performance of governments in managing the country has been poor to say the least. Overpaid incompetent managers (both politicians and CS) who can't or won't do a decent job, or never get fired if they mess up (Cardiff comes to mind), or who won't go after the tax-dodgers or the perhaps criminally incompetent previous politicians or their pensions leave me livid and disinclined to contribute.

The recent pensions debacle is a case in point. People on PAYE for yrs, Revenue and Welfare don't talk to each other, and then blame the old folks,coz they didn't do their job properly - all for €47 million which is probably what will be paid in Revenue overtime and A&E visits by old people after all the shock of recent weeks. This post will be deleted if not edited immediately wept.

That is what they are hoping for, good citizens like yourself to pay up and not ask questions.
They are taking us all for a ride, I am sick of hearing how much the top public sector employees are earning. They seriously need to reduce the salaries to what other EU states are earning.
How Ireland has such high wages for these people surprises me so much. What does Ireland actually do outside of its small insignificant country?
I'm sure merkel and sarkozy are asking these questions daily.

Bravo,

Couldn't have said it better myself, no incentive left in this country to work hard or buy a house.
Who has most at the end of the day when you retire, the OAP with the house he worked hard to buy, a modest pension, taxes and charges plus all the maintenace costs for having a house or the OAP on the state pension, renting the council house, on social welfare assistance, fuel allowance etc, paying no taxes or charges. Its a mugs game

I don't have an issue with property tax, it's the unfairness of not just this, but practivcally everything in the system. Here 's the comparison.

Mick and Joe work for thirty years in the same factory. It closes, both are made redundant. While they worked Mick sacrificed drink, smoking, clubbing etc, bought a house, and saved some money, Joe had a great time, kept renting and saved nothing. The redundancy money was saved by Mick and spent by Joe.

Move on ten years, neither have worked since. Mick lives in his own house, has reduced Social welfare payments (means-tested), has no medical card (means-tested), and is liable for household charge, water charges, property tax etc.

Joe is in subsidised rented accommodation, gets full social welfare payments, has a medical card, and is liable for no taxes/charges.

It just doesn't seem right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back