washing car, car wash stuff, or wash and wax stuff?

terrysgirl33

If you are washing the car, is it better to use car shampoo or wash and wax shampoo? If you get wash and wax stuff, can you use it to wash the windows of the car?

Last edited:
If you are doing a quick wash then i would only use the car shampoo. but if you are really looking to get a good clean then car shampoo and then wax. and then if you are really up to it you can get a metal shine polish to finish it off nicely (really makes the car look good when finished). you can use the shampoo on the windows. but i would stay away from using the wax on the windows, you can get a cleaner/wax coater for windows. if you have a look at the autoglym website then see what products they have.

When time permits, we do the full wash-then-wax routine. However, for a quick wash, we use car shampoo with a dash of wax in the water. Only Meguiar's products (www.meguiars.com) are used - hubby swears by that brand, and I don't know (or care) enough to argue with him :p The touch of wax in the water doesn't seem to have an adverse affect on the windows either.

i usually use a shampoo & wax when i'm giving it a quick wash and when i have time i use Mer polish. it's great because you can use it on a wet car and in sunlight. i think i got it in halfords.

[broken link removed]

Pique, what a comprehensive list of reviews of car 'stuff'!!! Thanks for posting the link.

To everyone else, thanks for taking the time to reply! I found an container of washandwax stuff at home, I was wondering about using it, but I googled and it seems the general consensus is no. A few years ago my BIL washed our car at a car wash and put it through the wax cycle, waxing the windscreen by mistake, and we never got the windscreen right afterwards, so I'm wary of putting wax anywhere near the windscreen.

Now i just have to work up the energy to do the washing :).

Now i just have to work up the energy to do the washing :).

yeah it can be tiresome alright but i actually love washing my car. i could spend a good 4 hours (or more) doing it inside and out and then at the end of it all stand back and admire the handiwork. of course given the weather it usually rains after i have it washed which just annoys me no end:):)

...and then at the end of it all stand back and admire the handiwork

Sounds like something Swiss Tony would have said:

Washing a car is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

Make sure it's completely wet, always rub firmly & leave the dirtiest bits till the end.

Sounds like something Swiss Tony would have said:

Washing a car is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

Make sure it's completely wet, always rub firmly & leave the dirtiest bits till the end.
:D Brilliant !!

Re: washing car, car wash stuff, or wash and wax stuff?
Check out [broken link removed] for a great review of the best car products.

A great site, I have saved it to my favourites.

On the subject of washing, anyone know where I could buy those spong brushes with the long handles that are used by some car washers.

Atlantic Homecare sell them (or at least they did)
Also, for a quick wax I always use Turtle wax 'Wax it Wet' and it's brilliant and effortless.
Also if you want to get rid of impurities in the paintwork, look for a Clay Bar....it's like a lump of plasticine that you rub across the paintwork after lubricating it with the supplied spray and you will be amazed with what it looks like after you use it on a car that you've just clean ed to an inch of its life.

I use Meguiars or Mer wash, then a Clay Bar and then 'Wax it Wet' and the end result is brilliant.

i'd be interested to see if anyone can get their hands on a clay bar. A few years ago i tried every motor factors i could find and no one knew what i was talking about.

Pique, where did you get it?

I think it was in Derry...can't remember now. T'would be just as handy to get one online.

Try [broken link removed]

i'd be interested to see if anyone can get their hands on a clay bar. A few years ago i tried every motor factors i could find and no one knew what i was talking about.

Pique, where did you get it?

I got a Meguiar's Quik Clay off ebay a few months ago It cost about 19euro with the exchange rate at the time. Halfrauds were charging 32euro for the same thing. I washed the car with shampoo, clayed it, polished it, waxed it and sealed it with autoglym paint sealant. It looked mint at the time, its well worth the effort for the lasting effect even now the water still beads on the paint work 4 month later.

Back