"On Street Parking" in Public (or Private) residential estates?

satin

Hi All,
I am working in city centre and my office cant provide a parking space.

I am 55 years old and about to retire in couple of yrs time.

My problem is PARKING. Only parking I can get is euro 1500 per year fixed price if i wanted to park in office area.

With salary so meagre its an expensive deal for me. I drive from Kildare and park by roadside next to an housing estate or at very few occassions infront (i.e. parking available in front on road without obstructing anyones path. That also when someone purposely obstruct free parking space with cones) of one house. There is no yellow line or payed parking there.

I have been doing the same for last 4 years, but for last couple of weeks one of the resident in that state is harassing me by putting cones everywhere, even infront of the street where no house is and no yellow line or payed parking is. Even got some verbal abbuse couple of times. Last week a huge dent showed up on my new car.

Am left heartbroken and scared. I dont know what to do, whether to change or leave job. Getting a job at my age is great deal and am already finding it hard to keep up with expenses. And now this ?

My questions are :
Are roads public or private ?
Can anyone put cones anywhere on public road, just to block the space ?
What shall i do, leave work? or shall I complain to guards if anything silly happen again?

Any input be of great help.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Satin

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Parking by roadside

My questions are :
Are roads public or private ? Public
Can anyone put cones anywhere on public road, just to block the space ? No
what shall i do, leave work? or shall i complain to gards if anything silly happen again? Call Gardai
What kind of traffic cones are they? I wonder where they got them from?

Had similiar abuse when I was in college. Parked on a road near college, no yellow lines, no paid parking. Was not blocking anyones house etc and a woman felt it was ok to come out and abuse me and told me she would damage my car if I did not move it. For my own peace of mind I moved it down a bit but still on same road. The only thing is, by the time I had walked up to where I had originally parked it, someone else had parked there. You have no right to park outside your own house or put cones up etc. You only have a right to be able to exit from your driveway if you are parked in there.

Thanks for replies...
They are normal traffic cones... i dont know where this fella got them from. Ontop of it, he's putting them infront of his house BUT ALSO at free space further ontop of the street.
Whom shall i contact regarding these cones? will it be worth speaking to local authority ?
I park atleast 10 metrics away from any homes on that estate but these traffic cones keep on showing up where ever i park.

Its great deal of mental stress as car is very integral part of me work and seeing it damaged or abused is sorry sight.

Any legal roads i can take?

Regards
Satin

Drop into the local Gardai station (to where you park) ask them about the legality of the cones. Im sure they would also confirm if it is legal for you to park raodside - which Im sure it is. Wheter thay take an interst in your dinted car is another issue.

I used to park outside local dart station. There was no carpark and only onstreet parking available. had my car scratched with a key from front head light all down the doors to the end bumper. Convinced it was from a disgruntled neighbour. But couldnt prove anything at the time.

I drive from kildare and park by roadside next to an housing estate or at very few occassions infront(i.e. parking available in front on road without obstructing anyones path. That also when someone purposely obstruct free parking space with cones) of one house.

These 'spaces' are not really intended for commuters - they are there for residents, their visitors etc. I have to say I don't really blame the residents for taking offence, especially if you do this on a daily basis.

Such a road is public, but I think that we're only entitled to park on the roadside for up to three hours. I'm not entirely sure where I'm pulling this from! But I'll try to find out. I think that we're not really meant to use public roads as car parks for an entire day. But that doesn't mean local residents can hassle you with cones and vandalism.

I'll see if I can find back up for what I'm rambling about.

These 'spaces' are not really intended for commuters - they are there for residents, their visitors etc. I have to say I don't really blame the residents for taking offence, especially if you do this on a daily basis.

Those space are for anyone who has paid their car tax....

Those space are for anyone who has paid their car tax....

Fair enough, so you'd have no problem with someone parking in front of your house for 8 to 10 hours a day.

I have sympathy with both sides , it sounds as if the OP is not doing anything illegal, in fact the law is on his side , to my knowledge.
However, people in housing estates get fed up of people who leave cars outside their houses all day, this is a fact and in no way am I condoning what appears to be aggressive and illegal behaviour.
I would love to know about the legality of the three hours limit as said by a previous poster.
As the OP lives in Kildare and works in the city centre, surely the Arrow or indeed the Silver Dawn(bus service) would be a much easier commute all round?

I have a friend who had similar problems to yourself and what he did I thought was a great piece of lateral thinking. He printed up a flyer and wrote on it that he was willing to pay 50 euro a week (5 day week Mon-Fri 8am till 4.30) to rent a driveway parking spot. That evening he got a call from a guy who left for work every day at 7am and was interested in his proposal.they did the deal and all were happy.

Hi Gobstopper. The OP said in his first post that the reason he was parking there was because he couldnt afford the 1500euro per annum fixed fee for parking in his office space so I dont think that kind of solution would work.

I don't mean to attack OP but he has just got a new car so money can't be that tight. Plenty of others in his situation pay, I don't see why he should feel its acceptable to inconvenience others in an estate where he has no links/ties, to save himself on parking charges.

OP, are we getting the full story here - did you block in someone, even accidentally, or inconvenience someone with disabled sticker, elderly person, mother with children etc?

Also you talk about spaces - are these actual marked spaces, or just the side of the road in the estate?

I don't think this has been asked, but is this a private estate?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but does a car legally have more right to make use of the side of the road than a cone?

A similar situation to this arises at train stations, bus stations and indeed at many sports events. If there is no limitation or charge for parking then OP is as much entitled to park in this spot as even the resident of the house as long as he is not causing an obstruction.
The only way OP can be stopped from parking is if new traffic management plans are implemented in the estate or if the Gardai or the local authority adopt measures to prevent parking there altogether.
The person who damaged his car is a thug and I would advise OP to advise the Gardai of his suspicions. It will put an end to the matter.

where I live the road outside is taken up with commuters cars from about 7.30 am. Oneof the neighbours is very touchy about this and park their cars out front instead of in their driveways to stop anyone parking there. They are even touchy about anyone visiting who parks in front of their house. They seem to think they own the road - which they don't.

However while most commuters are careful how they park I have seen some very inconsiderate parking. One woman parked half blocking my driveway so my wife couldn't get out to do the school run. I have had instances of cars parked for a couple of weeks outside my house (which is near an aircoach stop) as the drivers presumably went on holiday. And on a few occassions car alarms have gone off all day.

I've no problem with someone parking outside my house as it is a public street. Just as long as they park properly and not for weeks on end.

While I have sympathy for the original poster, and certainly the person harrassing you is the wrong. Though from experience commuters parking in residential areas is a real pain. But like others have said you can't claim you can't afford parking if you can afford a new car. There has to be somewhere else you can park and pay less than 1500. Even if it means walking a short distance or getting a bus or a train etc. You losing more in depreciation than parking would cost you, and I'm sure theres somewhere cheaper to park.

While you are legally entitled to park there, it seems strange that someone would start to get annoyed after 4yrs. So perhaps theres more to this, or perhaps someone new has moved in, or has become unbalanced for some reason. Perhaps they are under stress for some reason. Regardless of the reason. I think its going to be very hard for you to win a battle of will here. Even if its hard to let someone bully and harass you.

Fair enough, so you'd have no problem with someone parking in front of your house for 8 to 10 hours a day.

I may have a problem about it but that does not mean that I can do anything about it...just like I have a problem about many things I dont like but thats life!

I think its going to be very hard for you to win a battle of will here. Even if its hard to let someone bully and harass you.

Your right to stand your ground, let the person know your within your rights to park there, and remind them that the law in on your side, in a plesant but firm manner. Any problems call guards,

My point was, unless you are going to monitor the car the whole time, how will you prove who is interfering with.

That also when someone purposely obstruct free parking space with cones) of one house.There is no yellow line or payed parking there.
I have been doing the same for last 4 years, but for last couple of weeks one of the resident in that state is harassing me by putting cones everywhere, even infront of the street where no house is and no yellow line or payed parking is.
Sorry - I don't really understand parts of your post such as the above extract. It seems a bit garbled. Maybe you can clarify?
Even got some verbal abbuse couple of times. Last week a huge dent showed up on me new car.
Impossible to say who did this unless you have witnesses.
Am left heartbroken and scared. I dont know what to do, whether to change or leave job. Getting a job at my age is great deal and am already finding it hard to keep up with expenses. And now this ?
Seems a bit drastic. Are there not other options? Bike, moped, public transport etc.?

Back