Where to sell a car?

terrysgirl33

We don't change cars too often, so this is something I don't know much about. Where do you go to sell a car?

It depends.
You have the choice of selling privately: advertised online on sites such as carzone.ie or autotrader.i e, or in the papers.
Trade-in your car at a dealership/garage. You will, of course get less than selling privately.
The last option is sell it to one of those companies that buy cars for cash, but again, in this case, you will get even less than if you were trading in.

In any case, do your homework beforehand, look online for what cars similar to uours sell for, both privately and if sold by a dealership.

Thanks for the advice, we are not looking to replace this car, so I don't think a dealer is an option.

Have you looked through the key posts, including this one? Some dealers buy 2nd hand cars for cash.

I sold a 7 seater on donedeal. I had it up on every website I could find but donedeal is where all the queries came from.

I sold a 7 seater on donedeal. I had it up on every website I could find but donedeal is where all the queries came from.

I second that, Donedeal is one of the best selling sites there is.
Just remember to put a fair asking price on your car and it will sell.

Donedeal. Sold two cars on it last year, albeit €100 and €300 but as soon as they went up the calls started coming in. Now I don't expect that the response would be as fast for a car that costs a few thousand but we must soon be getting to where good quality second hand cars 3,4,5 years old will be getting scarce so price it realistically and you should get a response.... entirely depends what it is and price of course but €3 to put it on donedeal is a no brainer. Good luck.

Have you looked through the key posts, including this one? Some dealers buy 2nd hand cars for cash.

Thanks Leo, I forgot to do that! Nonetheless, what I was also looking for was what sites are selling cars quickly NOW, IYKWIM, and that thread is quite old at the start.

In the end, I let DH do the details and put it up on donedeal.ie on Monday and it was sold by Tuesday evening, just a bit longer than 24 hours! There was quite a bit of interest, but the first person to see it bought it. As it was a 9 year old 1.9 litre diesel, it was a great car, but the car tax and the cost of running a second car were becoming a bit of a nuisance. Ah well, back to the buses (mostly) for me!

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Glad to hear you got sorted Terrysgirl33, thanks for letting us know.
Leo

Well, thanks for taking the time to reply to me! I get a lot of useful information from websites like this, and it's always good to find out how things work out!

Back