Bought a house after May 1st 2013 - what LPT do we pay in 2014?

Dipper

We bought and sold this year. My solicitor required us to provide a letter of discharge from DCC for household charge and similar from revenue for property tax. The former was easy. The latter didn't exist. Instead the solicitor had to log in to the online system and then use my details to verify that I had paid it in full. He requested the same from our vendors. So there was no shared liability for it - I paid it in full on the house I was selling and vendors paid it in full on house I was buying.

My question now though is for 2014, do I pay at the amount paid for the new house? Even if this is more than the previous owners registered it at and paid for it? And do I have to contact revenue to let them know that I am now registered to this address and not my old one?

We bought and sold this year. My solicitor required us to provide a letter of discharge from DCC for household charge and similar from revenue for property tax. The former was easy. The latter didn't exist. Instead the solicitor had to log in to the online system and then use my details to verify that I had paid it in full. He requested the same from our vendors. So there was no shared liability for it - I paid it in full on the house I was selling and vendors paid it in full on house I was buying.

My question now though is for 2014, do I pay at the amount paid for the new house? Even if this is more than the previous owners registered it at and paid for it? And do I have to contact revenue to let them know that I am now registered to this address and not my old one?

Hi Dipper,

I'm in the excat same position - bought and sold this year. After a 48min wait on hold I eventually got through to LPT and I had to re-register the new property in my name. LPT were able to give me the Property ID number but they would have issue a new Property PIN - something to do with the PIN and your PPS being unique. After a few hour got a call from LPT in Clare (065 number) and I was given my new PIN.
Checked it online and I know just have to decide how to pay.

Excellent Revenue FAQ on the topic here

Frequently Asked Questions for Purchasers - Sale / transfer of ownership of residential property

The valuation as of May 2013 is the valuation used for 2014, 2015 and 2016. Before you accept that valuation, you should decide whether it was honest and reasonable. If they valued the property at €200,000 and you paid €220,000, it's not unreasonable to attribute the extra you paid to the increase in property prices from May to the time you bought it.

If they valued it at €200,000 and you paid €350,000 for it, then you would need to revalue it. I don't think it would be reasonable to value it at anything less than 90% of the price you paid. So if you paid €350,000, the lowest you would get away with would be €315,000.

Brendan

You also have to fil in a change of ownership form which you will find on revenue website and return letting revenue know what method of payment you intend using.

Back