Can't get onto certain sites.

Molli

Past few days when I google a page and then click onto it I keep getting a message "diagnose internet connections" Whats causing this problem please?

Can you give a bit more detail on what the hardware and software environment that you are using?
Wifi or wired?
Home, work, cafe?
Same page all pages?
Phone ,pc ,tablet,TV, Google Glass?
Broadband provider?
etc

I had a problem myself in so far as my internet would not connect. My son who lives in the far east also had a problem with his. Big Bro maybe?

Its my home laptop windows vista. Its wired internet and its just certain pages I cannot get. I've noticed the main run of pages I cannot get are facebook ones but cannot get onto paypal either.

Have you a virus checker?
Have you updated Vista lately?
Can you get on to the Microsoft website?

Alpha Wave Just checking again and apart from pay pal the other pages all seem to be facebook ones that I google. I can get onto my own page and all my friends pages off my own page.

Unlikely to be a virus problem. I've seen some providers have temporary problems with their DNS -- I get it on UPC sometimes, but have no idea about Alpha Wave. DNS is the protocol your computer uses to translate named web sites into numeric internet addresses. This is the sort of thing I'd suspect when you can get on some sites but not others (and you're fairly confident that the sites themselves aren't down). It's also implicated when your commonly used addresses work (for which DNS results may be cached) but other addresses don't. I'm afraid testing this out is a little involved, but if you know how to change your TCP/IP connection's DNS settings, you could try setting to Open DNS at 8.8.8.8.

Thanks dub nerd. No sites not down def. I'm afraid Im not technically minded atall when it comes to these things. How do i go about changing those connections and I could give it a try.

As a simple first course of action, have you tried unplugging the router for two minutes and re-plugging it in? It may automatically re-configure itself.

You dont mention a browser, but I'm guessing IE......have you tried different browsers, such as Chrome or Firefox etc.

Thanks dub nerd. No sites not down def. I'm afraid Im not technically minded atall when it comes to these things. How do i go about changing those connections and I could give it a try.

May not be for the fainthearted. You'd have to figure out how to bring up your Control Panel (how to do this depends on your Windows version, assuming you're running Windows), select Network and Sharing Center, select "Change Adapter Settings" from the menu on the left:

ddwxZeL.png

Select Internet Protocol Version 4 in the list and click the Properties button:

Bk5WuV6.png

In the bottom half, switch from "Obtain DNS server address automatically" to "Use the following DNS server addresses" .... and type in 8.8.8.8

CMSCM1n.png

If it doesn't fix anything, just switch back to automatic.

There is no "change adapter settings" on left. There is a heading tasks and underneath View computers and Devices, Connect to a network, Manage wireless networks, Set up a connection or network, manage network connections, diagnose and repair.

Back