Recommend a Galway restaurant

emaol

Hi

I'm looking for a restaurant in central Galway for a group of 13-15 people meeting up, none from the area. It's on a Saturday night.

Casual friendly atmosphere, good food esp a decent steak. Approx €40-€50 per head excl any wine/beer.

Anyone been anywhere recently they would recommend?

Thanks

Vina Mara on Augustine Street - very good quality food. Also restaurant is very central, near Shop St. etc.

I would suggest The Asian Tea House on Mary Street for Asian, excellent stuff.

Vina Mara or The Olde Malt are not bad as said above or Casey Blakes

Indian Kashmir is excellent if the decor a bit dated.

+1 for McSwiggans

Not as crowded as the restaurants on Quay Street but always buzzing. Excellent food.
++1 for McSwiggans. Go every year and never been disappointed. Great atmosphere too.

McSwiggans, casual atmosphere, always excellent food at reasonable prices. You will probably have to book as they are always busy.

McSwiggs has great grub but is just okay for a small group but for a large group I'd suggest Kirbys on Cross Street. It is owned by Busker Brownes next door and they will leave ye at your table until 2.30am with all the benefits of a bar. www.buskerbrownes.com
Food is fine too and they don't rush you.

Vina Mars is excellent but quite expensive.

Malt House and Asian Tea House are both excellent damn good too

For the sake of comfort of a large crowd, I think Kirby's is a good option. It is only 20 yards from Quay Street too.

McSwiggs has great grub but is just okay for a small group but for a large group I'd suggest Kirbys on Cross Street. It is owned by Busker Brownes next door and they will leave ye at your table until 2.30am with all the benefits of a bar. www.buskerbrownes.com
Food is fine too and they don't rush you.

For the sake of comfort of a large crowd, I think Kirby's is a good option. It is only 20 yards from Quay Street too.
+1 for Kirbys, was there recently with a group of about 20, and it was very good.

Would agree about the Indian Kashmir but avoid Casey Blakes, the customer service is non-existent and that was from the owners not even the hired staff!!

I would suggest The Asian Tea House on Mary Street for Asian, excellent stuff.

Vina Mara or The Olde Malt are not bad as said above or Casey Blakes

Indian Kashmir is excellent if the decor a bit dated.

Thanks for the advice on suitability for a largish crowd.
Can't imagine Busker Brownes get much business from the website quoted above, though! Found a separate one for Kirby's.

I had forgotten about Kirbys, it is perfect for a small group.

Casey Blakes, I had heard of some service issues but felt that these generally had to do with being rushed and the last 2 times I was there found it very good, perhaps the recession has pulled their horns in a bit.

There is a fantastic restaurant just under the spanish arch. They do great fish and have a few veg options unlike a lot of places. It think it's called Nemos but not 100%.
Right on the river in old quaymasters house converted. Great interior also.

Is Casey Blakes, KC Blakes on Quay street?

Yes it's the same place. I agree with the previous poster, service use to be rushed, but I'm presuming that has changed now.

Any of the places recomended are all very good.

Thanks for the advice on suitability for a largish crowd.
Can't imagine Busker Brownes get much business from the website quoted above, though! Found a separate one for Kirby's.

Oooooops. Sorry, I linked the wrong website.

Back