What are we watching on TV?

:eek:
:mad:

I have watched all, bar the current season (6). The season set in Belfast has to be seen to be believed. The Oirish accents make Tom Cruise's efforts look *************************.

That one guy playing the IRA leader, I think he's actually English, has the worst Irish accent I've ever heard.
The first 2 series were very good but it's rubbish in the last series. The only thing that kept me watching was the cute doctor.

Are all the bikers on tour together or what? How does the story move from USA to Norn Iron??, or is every series a new adventure in a new setting?

Are all the bikers on tour together or what? How does the story move from USA to Norn Iron??, or is every series a new adventure in a new setting?

Every series is a journey further and further away from what's plausible.

or is every series a new adventure in a new setting?

Each series is set in the town of Charming. Which has its own film studio that creates, eh, adult content. Like most towns that size in USA :rolleyes:.

And a police chief who has had terminal cancer for around 4 years. Which is atypical :rolleyes:.

[broken link removed]
Have to say I like the look of this...the German 'Band of Brothers'

Generation War is an unflinching and violent depiction of the experiences of five friends during the years 1941-1945 and is regarded as a turning point in German television given its portrayal of the role of ordinary Germans during WWII.

Was it any good?

I thought so. Not huge on battle scenes or the like, so they have'nt spent a fortune on it.
But apparently it's opened up a large debate in Germany....how did the average soldier/officer in the Army allow the atrocities to occur in front of their eyes day after day, mainly by the SS.
It was reviewed on The Last Word this eve and they were very praiseworthy of it. It's only 3 parts, and last night's was 1.5 hours

It’s important to distinguish between the SS and the Waffen SS, particularly those who joined the Waffen SS after 1943 as many of them from that date on were conscripts.
It was set up, and theoretically remained, the military wing of the Nazi party but from 1940 it was under the operational control of the regular army high command. The restriction of membership to those of the “Aryan race” was also lifted around 1940 so by the end of the war more than half of them were non-Germans and conscripts.
They were very badly treated after the war.

Usually love a BBC drama (especially a period one) but think this one is only so so, unless it picks up. Also I see it's on at 8pm so don't want to be sitting for 2 hours on a Sunday as Dowtown abbey is on at 9. Really helps get me through the glenroes.

I admit to having watched the Holy Trilogy (sic) of The Paradise at 8pm, Downton Abbey at 9pm followed by Love Hate on RTE+1 AT 10.30PM, all on Sunday nights. As Downton & Love/Hate are over now, Generation War will fill the void. I also record Fair City ( sorry) at 8pm.

From time to time, some decent (no pun intended) films appear late after midnight on the home and UK channels, requiring recording. I even watched a good Japanese film with subtitles recently.

BBC3 & BBC4 have good documentaries about a wide range of stuff.

Expect to see a lot of programming next year about the Great War.

@Laramie: Also loving Borgen

Marion

PS: Am currently addicted to Nigella Express on Food Network. Nigella totally rocks easy entertaining food.

Sons of Anarchy S3 - jumping the shark a bit alright. Didn't mind the dodgy Irish accents (can't say we do an American accent well ourselves) but the whole !Sons of Anarchy - Belfast Division" is stretching it in the extreme.

I'm really enjoying 'Generation War' or 'Unsere mutter Unsere vater' as it was called in Germany. I was living in Berlin when this was first shown and couldn't wait to see it with subtitles.
It was highly controversial as it was the first German made film to show how normal families fared in the war. Also lead to a lot of uncomfortable questions for parents and grandparents!

Game of Thrones starts again tonight...

Someone gave me a load of episodes recently as I have never seen this programme. I have only seen episode 1 and 2 so far, and it is just ok. It is a bit racy with all the nude and topless scenes, maybe a bit OTT.

Commonwealth Games

Congratulations to the Northern Ireland boxing team. They've succeeded in getting 7 out of their team of 9 boxers to the medal stages, a phenomenal success rate for a country their size.

Congratulations to the Northern Ireland boxing team. They've succeeded in getting 7 out of their team of 9 boxers to the medal stages, a phenomenal success rate for a country their size.

Cough, cough, Billy Walsh, cough, cough
Cough, cough, Irish Sports Council funded High Performance Unit, cough, cough

;)

Back