how do passengers claim in a car acident?

L

lucy1

haya
my boyfriend and i were driving at a steady pace along a wet and oily road yesterday and the back wheels went from under us, we ended up doing a 360 into a ditch landing upside down. thank god we were pretty much ok but to day i am realy feeling it in my back, neck and head.
he has in insurance with quinn direct but its just 3rd party,
i am wondering if i can make a claim on his insurance as a passenger? and is it worth it if i do?

if any one can help id be greatful!
lucy

If you claim on his insurance, are you happy that his no claims bonus may be affected?

you as passenger asked the simple question, can you make a claim. teh answer is yes.

if he is not liable, your claim fails and you may have to pay the legal costs of both yourself and his insurers. If he is liable, then you recover and your costs are paid.

Lucy - how about waiting to see how long this pain lasts?? Im not trying to be rude but it sounds to me like you want to make a few quick euros. The chances are you would have to take numerous visits to doctors, hospitals, etc and you may be monitored for a long time which would restrict you in your everyday activities. If you find after a few weeks that you are genuinely injured then i would take a visit to your GP.

Insurance in this country is so high because of people who want to claim for every little bump they are involved in. Please accept my apologies if it turns out that you are very injured but im really just giving my opinion on the matter.

Lucy,

I agree with Sammie 110. However if you really are injured and feel that compensation is required then you lodge a claim with PIAB (www.piab.ie). You have two years from the date of the accident to do this. You need to fill in the application form and attach a medical report and the required fee (€50). You can get a solicitor to do this for you but it's not essential. When PIAB get the report they contact the relavent insurers and ask them if they admit liability. If they do an award is made and subject to both parties being happy is then paid. At the award stage either party can withdraw from the process if they are not happy with the amount awarded and then PIAB will issue you with a cert allowing you to take a civil claim through the courts against the insurance company. If the insurance company do not admit liability in the first instance then PIAB will issue a cert allowing you to take a civil case. Be warned however that there are serious penalties for persons making false or exagerated claims. Insurance companied are more and more using the services of PI's to investigate claims, particularly ones involving injuries suffered in car crashes and back injuries suffered at work.

All the advice so far seems a bit extreme. Lucy if you are set about making a claim, 1st people to call is your boyfriends insurance company.

Regardless of whether the op makes a claim or not, ending up upside down in a ditch after a traffic accident resulting in back, neck and head pain today merits at least a visit to a GP imo. I have never had a claim in my life and I'm fit and healthy but I still wouldn't take any chances after such an incident. Well and good if it's only a few bruises but if you have a genuine injury that might cause you bother in the years ahead you might be entitled to compensation.

Back