Named driver and no claims bonus

philipb

For the past three years my wife has been a named driver on my motor policy. When applying for a new policy for herself can she benefit from the three years no claims on my policy????

Depends which insurance company she goes with - some insurers will offer her the equivilant NCB of her own, others will over her 10-20%, others still will offer her nothing. I would have thought that if she was taking out a policy with the same company as you, that she would have been offered something, (as no-claim on the existing policy is documented) - the easiest way to find out is to ask - sorry for not being more helpful.

Having been in the same situation - Quinn Direct will take into account her named driver experience, but just for the first year. After that she will have standard NCB, which will, rather bizarrely, mean that her premiums will go up after a year, as they will just be calculated using her 1 year full NCB!

Have a look on insure.ie aswell for some quotes (I have no connection), they claim that the fact that you have an insured car could add an extra discount to the insurance. In the end, with three years as named driver and 1 year NCB I got the best quote from AXA (through insure.ie).

AXA are very helpfull as I was also in this suituation & there seamed to be no problem with shared ncb history when I insured a 2nd car

Back