Can a company prevent employees from talking to each other?

Louth

Recently I received an email inviting me to a meeting saying something to the effect that this does not imply you have done anything wrong.

It went on to say I was required to attend the meeting and I could not discuss this with anyone including my manager.

When I asked what it was about I got no response.

Can a company impose such a restriction under Irish law?

Louth

... Can anyone stop you from talking to your friends?
In some circumstances, yes.

OP, consider this: if I were running a business, and thought there was a problem that required careful investigation, I might want to have private meetings with staff members who might be able to help me understand what was going on; if I suspected that somebody were doing something questionable, I might not want that person to be alerted to the possibility that there was an investigation going on.

On the other hand, if you go to the meeting and find that it is about you, that you might be in some trouble, you should walk out, giving as your reason that you are entitled to be prepared for such a conversation.

Hi Louth

It seems very reasonable to me. It sounds as if they are investigating your manager, and not you.

I think you should respect the confidentiality, at least, initially, for the reasons mentioned by Padraigb.

If you are asked for facts, give them. If you are asked for opinions, tell them that you need to reflect on the questions as you were not ready for them.

If it's about your performance, which is very unlikely, then you should simply listen but not respond. You should not walk out immediately, but you should note that you were not alerted to the nature of the meeting and will need to reflect on it.

Brendan

Your contract of employment probably has a confidentiality clause in it. This is it. You could be fired for breaching these terms.

From what you have said, it sounds as if it is an issue that has nothing to do with you and you should not worry about it. There is an issue with someone else in the company and they want to investigate it.

It would be unfair for people to be talking about what it is about while the investigation is ongoing. It could damage the persons reputation and future employment prospects if rumours started and it turned out to be unfounded.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back