Dumping Old Beds

mickpyrmont

Just a quick question where is the best/ cheapest place to dump an old bed and matress? Im in an apartment in the city centre.

Just a quick question where is the best/ cheapest place to dump an old bed and matress? Im in an apartment in the city centre.

I f you are buying a new one some stores take away the old one for a modest fee.

My case, delivery was free and I paid an additional €25 to take away the old double.

Good value as the local council dump charge €20 admission for a car, I would have to chop up the base to get it in the car and it might even have taken two trips.

If the bed is useable put it in the the freebie section in Buy & Sell.

Like twofor1 if the bed is in any way usable try to offload it first via Buy & Sell. Early last year replaced double bed & mattress, replacing one we had for almost 10 years. The frame was in good nick but the mattress, though presentable, had seen better days.
Gambled a measly €6 putting 2add in our local freebie paper, to run for 2 weeks. Ended up selling it for €75 to the first call we got, which happened the evening the add first went out. Got loads more calls over the 2 week duration of the ad. Well worth it then, as opposed to having to organise the cost and transport of dumping it.

Galway City Council will charge €10 to collect an old doublebed.
[broken link removed]

Try your own local council.

Just noticed a neighbour leaving out an old bed outside his front wall earlier this evening. I imagine he hopes some kids will come along tomorrow and take it for the local bonfire.

I don't want to get into an argument with him or go ringing the council over one bed. Any idea if he has broken any law e.g. litter law?

Last edited:
Section 3 subsection 2 Litter Pollution Act 1997
(2) No person shall—

(a) deposit any thing that is commercial, household, industrial or municipal waste in any place for collection by or on behalf of a local authority or by another person, or

(b) load, transport, unload or otherwise handle or process any thing or carry on a business, trade or activity

in such circumstances as to create litter or lead to litter in any public place or any place that is visible to any extent from a public place.

Jumbletown.ie or the likes also...id kids mattress, old enough but clean, snapped up...

Back