Self employment and Jobseekers allowance

marfsmal

Really hope some one can help. I'm going self employed soon and am trying to find out the exact level of income/threshold that means you cannot claim jobseekers allowance as well.

I will be only working a max of 20 hours per week to start with and my earnings will obviously reflect that. It may even be less to start with.

But I just don't know what income levels they have allowed for self employed people to be able to claim JSA also to make up the difference.

Hope someone can help. Thanks a mil in advance.

If you are talking about JSA -as opposed to JSB- then it is not so much how much you will earn from your new self-employed 20 hr thing-it is what you are worth overall.
They will means-test you. that involves how much money do you have in the bank, does your spouse earn anything ( I think that includes live-in partner) and a lot of toher tricky questions.-living free at home? In some cases they ask what car do you own? any nice holidays recently ?
I'm exaggerating a bit - but be very very careful when applying for JSA.

I've nothing for them to get excited about so I've no problem with being means tested.

I'm thinking that they only help you for weeks that you make less than the dole equivalent. So if you forecast your average to be 100 per week, then they will give you the difference.

That's my own guess!

i thought that to qualify for Ja /Jb that you must be available for work ?? ie if you are involved in something else , even for 1 hour per day, it rules you out for that day ??

Why don't you look at Back to Work Schemes, which allow your full payment to continue for first year? Enterprise Allowance I think it is called.

Back