Afraid of being declined rent supplement

DubGal

Hi all, new to this so am wondering if anybody can shed some light on my situation. I have been living in RAS accommodation in a 2 bed apartment with my parents the past 7 years. My partner moved in with us 2 months ago. I am on the housing list only recently. Myself and my partner are currently unemployed, myself due to illness. I went last week to the local welfare offices and was told that me and my partner would be declined rent supplement as my housing needs were met with my parents. (although I was put on housing list). We are both 26 with no children. Can somebody give any guidance or advice please?! Thanks in advance!

Thank you for your reply. But I have read all there is on the internet. It doesn't seem to shed light on the whole me and my parents in a RAS house thing as I was told my needs were met with my parents but we want to move out you see

Before being considered for Rent Supplement, you must have been renting privately and have been able to afford the rent for 6 of the previous 12 months, or have been assessed by the Local Authority as having a housing need.

You mentioned that you're on the housing list - has the local authority carried out a housing needs assessment on you yet? There can be a delay of several months, depending on where you live. Until that's done, and the local authority state that you are in need of accommodation, you won't qualify for Rent Supplement.

If your housing needs assessment has been completed and you are eligible, then re-apply for Rent Supplement, making sure to bring evidence from the local authority.

Back