London city airport

I was going to let CityJet know about the good comments they are getting here, but their website does not provide any email addresses to send such emails.

Brendan

I once heard it said on the radio (by a pilot) that London City is one of the most dangerous airports in the world. The runway is extremely short and the area is built up. I remember thinking that can't be right...this is Europe after all.

Not too long after my BA flight crash landed at London City. Passengers were evacuated through the inflateable chute, The short runway had something to do with it. Planes have to land very heavily causing the wheels to collapse. After that incident did a bit of searching and found that identical problem was experienced just 9 days before my flight crash landed. And there have been other near misses.

You can just feel very harsh take-off and heavy landing when compared to heathrow/gatwick.

I know it's not unusual, but I assumed that the main reason for doing it was that the airports are usually jammed and you need people to leave to make way for others.

There would be no need to do this in London City Airport as it was not jammed.

Brendan

Annoying when this happens but it's not necessarily due to the depature airport .. slot restrictions can relate to en route restrictions or destination airports ... As far as I know there's a big computer at Eurocontrol in Brussels that spits out slots for all the flights and airlines have to go with what it says ... if they get a bad slot it's still better to board up as if so then they can advise that they're ready to go earlier than their slot and very often they'll get an improved slot

I have found that LCY gets a bit crowded on busy days (ie Thurs and Fridays). I often find if working in the City is is easier to fly to Gatwick (LGW) with either Ryanair or Aer Lingus and get the train 30 mins to London Bridge or London Blackfriars. For LCY you need to get the DLR which takes as long

Brendan. If you go to Gatwick the over ground train costing £9 each way will bring you to London Bridge in 30 mins (Thats 1 stop from Southwark and also brings you to Green Park on the Jubilee). The train goes to Gatwick every 30 mins. Gatwick does not have the queues it used to and I changed from LCY to LGW for this reason. Might be worth a try.

I'm looking at a weekend to London in February but any flights coming back from London City to Dublin on a Sunday seem to be late evening only (around 6pm). Are there no early flights on a Sunday?

I'm looking at a weekend to London in February but any flights coming back from London City to Dublin on a Sunday seem to be late evening only (around 6pm). Are there no early flights on a Sunday?

No there aren't which is a little strange given there are now 3 operators on the route. I suppose it's due to the fact that it's primarily a business airport. I'm not sure of any flight time restrictions there but that could also be an issue.

EDIT: The airport only opens at 11.00 am on Sundays so that obviously reduces options.

Yes as Derek says hours at LCY are restricted at the weekend - In fact the airport is closed to flights until 12:30 on Sunday ( the airport may open at 11.00 for passengers but no flights are allowed to leave between 12:30 on Saturday afternoon and 12:30 on Sunday morning )

Hence generally quite limited schedules at the weekend to the airport

Back