New Jersey Holiday with Kids

peno

Hi Folks

I'm looking for a bit of advice from anyone who's been to the New Jersey/Washington with kids.

For a something a bit different we said we'd do a holiday that incorporates a major city this year. So I've decided on trying to put together a 2 week holiday which will include New York for say 3/4 days New Jersey beaches and six flags to appease the kids, Washington DC and possibly out to Ocean City.

Can anyone give any practical advise in this regard? The kids ages are varies 15 , 9 and 8 and a baby.

I think at the moment the plan is to Fly into NY and spend 3 or 4 days there and then go to New Jersey. Hopefully stay in a beach town for 4/5 nights with 2 trips to six flags. Can anyone recommend a good beach town to stay in close to six flags.

Any tips and advice around this idea are much appreciated - particularity in activities etc in DC/NY for kids

Thanks

If you intend to incorporate Washington DC in your itinerary, you will need to factor in internal flights or 450 mile round trip drive which would mean bus/train/hire car...

I lived in Seaside (as seen on Jersey Shore) in the summers of 1996 and 1997.
great town but was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy and then a fire on the boardwalk soon afterwards.

A real party town, as is most of the jersey shore but the beaches are nice, loads to do on the boardwalk during the day and night.

6 flags was a couple of hours drive, which isn't far for America. You better like rollercoasters if you go there, there's loads of them.

We did a two-week East Coast holiday with 4 kids last year and had a great time. Spent a week in DC (staying with friends) and then 4 nights in NYC.

First tip would be to consider flying US Airways to Philadelphia and hire a car from PHL airport. Then it's a short enough drive both north to NJ and south to DC. The only long drive would be the one from NJ to DC in the middle of your stay.

US Airways DUB-PHL was also by far the cheapest flight for us, and in the summer you'll fly in the comfort of a widebody A330 with Personal Seatback Audio/Video. All serious considerations when travelling long-haul with 4 kids incl a baby.

That's for starters ...

Edit: Just had a quick glance at flights for next summer, and both AL and US Airways looking pretty expensive at the moment! Anyway, I wouldn't book the flights until the New Year ...

Thanks - that's useful
I had discounted US airways as I thought the planes were old and didn't have the seat back TVs

Thanks - that's useful
I had discounted US airways as I thought the planes were old and didn't have the seat back TVs

I think also by next Summer US Airways won't really exist too much .. they'll have been all integrated into American (who bought them about a year ago) .. most aircraft will probably have been refurbished by then and as Manuel notes not all US Airways planes were crap ( I think they used the old narrow body ones on their flights to Charlotte last summer, not Philadelphia)

Also Aer Lingus announced they were starting flights to Washington next summer too .. might be worth looking into that as well

Back