Fly to Beauvais but not on to Paris.

Kimmagegirl

Is it possible to get to other destinations easily besides Paris if I fly in to Beauvais Airport? I would not be hiring a car and would like a recommendation for a nice town/city nearby to visit.

Amiens, north, is very nice city with lots of history. That area is big on world war one war history. Compiegne is a nice large town west of Beauvais and the national parks between it and Paris are lovely, with some really nice historical architecture such as castles and churches.

I had pencilled in Amiens as a definite stop. I will also have a look at Compiegne. Thanks for the suggestions.

The town of Beauvais itself has a fantastic cathedral which is well worth a look (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauvais_Cathedral) - not much else to recommend the town itself I don't think, but if you're passing through (as you likely would be en route between the airport and the station)

In addition to Shoestring's suggestions you could also consider the Champagne region - a little further away, but still not that far .. though without your own wheels not sure how easy it would be.

Booked a flight to Beauvais in two weeks for €40 return with Ryanair and its only an hour outside of Paris.

If anybody is interested in going, there is a shuttle bus direct from the airport to Porte Maillot (€15.60 one way) and from there the Metro will bring you all over Paris (week pass for €40).

Looking at the Beauvais airport website all access details seem to be via Paris. I would like to avoid Paris and head to the coastal town of Honfleur and that area.
Are there buses or trains heading in the direction of these places directly from the airport? If I travel into the town of Beauvais is there a bus or train station where I can travel to coastal France? Any suggestions appreciated.

Well there is a train station but your options from there are pretty limited. http://www.gares-sncf.com/fr/gare/frbva/beauvais

There does seem to be a direct train service to a coastal town called Le Tréport but nothing going in the direction of Honfleur. A journey to Honfleur looks like a train to Paris, train to Le Havré and then bus to Honfleur. Journey time is dependent on the connection times but it looks like at least 6 hours travel!

Amiens is an 1 - 1 1/2 hours away by bus from the Beauvais train station (I can't tell exactly but it doesn't look like it calls at the airport). Aside from the city itself to visit there would be more connection options to other parts.

Back