"No Work Tomorrow" Tradesman for 10y with co, 1st employee in co. casual short time.

Dr.Phil

Hi I hope its ok to post here as i already posted in a similar forum website any way here it goes.

MY husband is a tradesman working with his company for 10 years. In January all the employees were called in and told things getting bad - boss said we might have to look at a three day week - but they weren't officially put on a three day week.

Since then some of the employees have been casually told "oh no work tomorrow" etc. My husband had 2 full weeks work - then off a day - then a full week then off 2 days and so far this week has had no work. He was told last Thursday he wouldn't we working Monday, Monday evening was told no work Tuesday. He rang the employer yesterday and was told no work tomorrow, he doesn't know yet if he is working tomorrow.

He is the first employee in the company and has found out some of the other lads are getting full weeks and some are being treated like him - there seems to be no consistency.

We don't know from week to week if he will have a full weeks work or not.

What rights has he? Can he demand full time. If he demands to be put on a structured three day week could this be detrimental to redundancy/job seeker entitlements?

We don't have a clue what to do. He is arranging to see his employers in the next week to sit down with them and just need some info. Please help

Edited to say that he doesn't have a contract of employment

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out this guide for employers

[broken link removed]

I think that the best thing to do is to have an open, non confrontational, chat about the situation with his employer but also with his colleagues.

Presumably the employer doesn't know how busy he will be as it depends on clients ringing in work?

Losing a day a week doesn't entitle you to Jobseekers Benefit. Losing two days does, so this should be brought into the plan

Brendan

Back