Joint Mortgage - Is there a way to buy the property after ex moves out?

kungpoo666

Hi all, am new to this site. Read through a few posts and you all seem to know your stuff. Need bit of advice and I will try keep it short: I bought an apartment in 2008 with my ex boyfriend. The loan was from Haven Mortgages for 230,000. We paid around 1,000 a month until he couldnt afford it any more, and we were fighting so much there was talk of him moving out. When he stopped, I stopped too as I knew my credit rating would be affected whether I paid 'my half' or not. He eventually moved out and to this day is ignoring all responsibility leaving Haven to contact me and me to worry (I now have a baby and just got engaged). I told Haven he was probably in Australia where he talked about going, although he is still living here and they have his address,but they just send me the letters (as I still live in the property) addressed to us both.
I met 2 of their representatives one day and asked them could they set me up a new mortgage with just my name, they said no. They sent me out alot of letters but I said I wanted his name off the mortgage so I could take it over, but they just kept saying they wanted the full payment. The mortgage is now about 30,000 in debt although the debt is in both our names. The place might only be worth 60,000 now. I got a letter from a debt collection agency last year and continue getting quarterly financial statements outlining my debt, but apart from that there has been no contact.
What I need to know is, what should I do, this is wrecking my head? If i leave and go and live with my new fiancee I will lose the place and still have the debt. Is there any way I can get them to do me a new mortgage? My ideal situation is that I keep the place with a new mortgage without my exes name. Is there any way I can 'voluntarily sell' it and buy it myself? I feel trapped and need to move on with my life!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Last edited:
The title of your post is too vague. Please it in line with the Posting Guidelines.

Please read the before posting again on Askaboutmoney.

Responses to posts with vague or meaningless titles are removed.

If the title is not edited within a reasonable time, the post will be deleted.

Brendan
Administrator

Back