2 weeks notice entitlement?

newhousey

Hi all, in my contract there is no specified notice period for myself, but there is a two week notice period if I was being let go by my employer. I handed in my noctice last thursday to my manager, who has now gone on holidays and he agreed that I could leave in 2 weeks but that he would leave it with his manager to sort it out while he is away. Now his manager has approached me and told me to hold off arranging any start date with my new job until she has a finish date sorted with HR...

What is my position? Am I free to leave 2 weeks from the day I gave my notice?

I was in a similar position recently, if there is nothing in your contract my understanding is that you only need to give 1 weeks notice, there is a bit more information [broken link removed] or have a read ofThis Thread.

Personally I think if you have committed to a new job start date then stick to it, you have given your current employers more than is legally required and it's not your problem if they haven't sorted things out, just ensure you get your p45 in time and any payments you are entitled to.

Thanks JP that was helpful, I'll wait and see what date they come back to me with and then see what I'll do, at least I know my rights now when they get back to me

Back