Renters paying for water & local charges?

jdpl28

Should the renter pay? A sample lease (from topfloor.ie) gives that they should pay for both.

[broken link removed]

4. The Tenant shall pay water rates, cable tv charges and Local Authority charges levied on the property.

When water charges are metered, of course it makes sense for the renter to pay, but for the property charges?

I think people renting should pay, it seems the only fair way ., I dont own a 2nd house thank god . But our moetgage is more than our home is worth yet its taxed
As an asset
Can see council housing lists getting a lot longer

I agree. The local authority charges are meant to be used for services that the tenant directly benefits from. Why shouldn't they have to pay? In practice, this may jot be the case though.

I think, in Northern Ireland, some landlords pay rates (their version of our LPT) and others don't. Obviously, the ones that do are advertised as such and it is reflected in the rent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When water charges are metered, of course it makes sense for the renter to pay, but for the property charges?

Which property charges? If it's the new property tax, than no the renter should not pay, but if it's the old local authority 'rates' which was for bins/water than yes.

Doesn't sound right Tommy that renters should pay landlords taxes. If it's a charge/rate/water/utility/service and not a tax that's different.

Doesn't sound right Tommy that renters should pay landlords taxes. If it's a charge/rate/water/utility/service and not a tax that's different.

It's accepted without question in the UK, US and elsewhere that the occupier foots the bill for property taxes. Why should this part of Ireland be any different?

It's accepted without question in the UK, US and elsewhere that the occupier foots the bill for property taxes. Why should this part of Ireland be any different?

Which property tax in the UK do renters pay? Is it an actual tax or a charge for services?

I would have thought it's a moot point, as regardless of what is in the lease the liability for the property tax remains with the owner, and it is they who will be pursued in the event of non-payment.

Presumably with water charges the tenant can register an account similar to the current set up with electric, gas etc.

Any update on how water charges will apply to tenants. I have a house set in apartments with no meters fitted as yet. My tenants are generally students who vacate in late May. I expect from here on the tenants will pay for the water. However I am wondering how this will work. No meters, six people (ie 3 in one apt, 2 in another and 1 in another).
Tenants generally will not be resident for a full tax year so who will avail of the free water?
Any opinions. information would be welcome before I draw up my next lease.
Thanks

You are right as to renters paying property charges/rates in the UK. I think it is different in the US where the Landlord pays Property tax.

This is my take. If charge is specified for maintenance or enjoyment of local facilities, then the 'enjoyer' Tenant should pay. However if Govt words the charge directly as Property ownership charge, then it is Landlord's responsibility.

Further to this if it is agreed between tenant and landlord that tenant pays for water charges, as they do for electricity, gas, waste, etc., and then the tenant vacates the property leaving behind an unpaid water bill is the the landlord then liable. I know this can be checked when tenancy is finishing and deducted from deposit but just wondering who would be pursued.

Another interesting aspect to this will be where the water pressure has been reduced because a Tenant has not paid their water charges will the pressure be turned back on when the Landlord informs the water company that the Tenant has left the house.
It is another headache for landlords.
I know would be better paid if I was a lowly paid employee of this quango than as a landlord.

I take your point.

But the reality is the LL pays it from their income. Which is got from the tenant rent. Increase the costs to LL, you increase rents for tenants.

Back