Threatening letter from Credit Union

The wording of the letter is completely unacceptable. I would suggest the OP and daughter get some legal advice as it is tantamount to extracting monies by menance.

I would also get a list of the names of the trustees/directors of the CU and circulate them with the letter asking if they want to be associated with its sentiments.

I would also request that the author be fired.

Highflyer's proposal is as much over the top as was the original letter.

I think that writing an ill-judged letter should not be a sacking offence.

It's a surprisingly threatening letter if it is really a first letter. I've worked for several different credit unions and all of those had exact procedures in place for debtors. The first was usually a gentle reminder letter ( because everyone can make an honest mistake), the second was a stronger letter ( nothing like the one quoted here), the third was a person to person contact with the debtor. After that it was handed over to the solicitor.

As for the stories about people being sent to jail- usually a committal order is made only where either the person didnt turn up or they did turn up, the judge was satisfied they had the means to pay by installments and was further satisfied that they were deliberately not paying despite this. No-one who comes to court and proves they do not have the means to pay would be sent to jail.

Before getting a committal order you have many chances to pay/make arrangements- first you have to get a judgement, then generally a sheriff calls around rarely getting anything. Then you get an installment order this is where the debtor can come to court and plead their case and the Judge decides how much they pay each month it might only be €5 a month and the debtor has to consent to this.
Then if the debtor still does not pay then you can persue a commital for contempt of Court. This can take over 2 years. In my experience over 90% of debtors do not show up for Judgements or Installment orders.
Most people will work with Debtors to clear arrears once they contact them as it is in both their interests to clear any balance owed. People who don't bother to contact the person who owes them money- I have little sympathy for.

Back