Applying for a new credit card - but which one ?

Woodville56

As one of those ditched by Danske in their recent decision to pull out of the domestic/ personal banking market, I'm now I'm the process of searching for a new Credit Card facility. I have no outstanding balance for transfer to a new CC provider and I would not be a regular user of the credit card - only occasionally for online purchases or bookings, so mostly low volume, low value transactions which I clear within credit period.
My other banking business is with AIB and I asked them about CC facilities and they forwarded me an application for an AIB 'be' Visa Card, which has been partially completed by the bank as they have most of my financial & personal details already.
In the section headed Direct Debit Option, the bank has entered "I wish 100% of my balance to be taken from my Bank Account by direct debit"
Now, my own preference would be to pay any balance to the bank personally when due rather that a Direct Debit arrangement. Is this an option or is the 100% DD transfer a condition of the card ?
My other query is as to the best/ most favourable card for me, being a low volume user with no balance to transfer and who pays off full balance when due - the different banks CC products seem much of a muchness for my situation ?
Any advice welcome !

I've no opinion on one credit card or another as like yourself, I manually pay of my credit card balance each month when it becomes due. I've an affinity card which is supposed to benefit my old college but I haven't heard from them in 14 years so who knows where the fees are going!

As to the issue with thepre-filled form, you could try picking up a blank one from the branches and filling it in as you see fit? I doubt this'll have any impact on your application/approval.

By way of update on my attempt to replace my now defunct Danske Credit Card - I eventually applied for a card with AIB, where I have my current and savings accounts, both accounts being always maintained properly with no over expends etc, therefore having what I would regard as a clean credit record. It's a month now since I applied to AIB for the credit card and so far no sign of my card. I cleared my Danske account before my card expired therefore there was no carry over balance to go on the AIB card. On enquiring with AIB about the delay in obtaining my replacement credit card I was told that "there was a delay with Danske switchers" ?? As far as I'm concerned, I feel my application should be treated as a fresh/ new applicant given that there is no carry over or residual balance from my Danske Card. It makes me laugh when I see all the AIB ads inviting switchers !!.

do not get a Tesco CC for the following reasons:

1. The statement takes 14 days to arrive

2. You cannot check your balance online.

3. Credit limit is quite tight and you have to wait a year before they will amend it.

I am still working hard on 1 and 2, using their prepaid envelopes and trying to tell them how save money by sending Estatements!

It's a month now since I applied to AIB for the credit card and so far no sign of my card. It makes me laugh when I see all the AIB ads inviting switchers !!.
I’m in a similar situation. I had a Mastercard with Danske bank. I applied for a Mastercard for AIB 14 weeks ago and haven’t received it yet. This is despite the fact that I have an AIB Visa card for a long long time and have never missed a monthly payment. You just have to keep hassling them.

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can answer my question;

I am currently an AIB banking customer, but may be moving to another bank to avoid monthly charges in the near future. I am currently looking for a new credit card, with much the same requirements as the original poster.

I am considering both the AIB "be" and "click" cards. The "click" card is only available with online banking, as no paper statements are available. My question is if I were to move bank after obtaining the "click" card, would AIB allow me to maintain the internet banking without monthly charge, or would I have to forfeit the card?

Thanks

By way of update on my attempt to replace my now defunct Danske Credit Card - I eventually applied for a card with AIB, where I have my current and savings accounts, both accounts being always maintained properly with no over expends etc, therefore having what I would regard as a clean credit record. It's a month now since I applied to AIB for the credit card and so far no sign of my card. I cleared my Danske account before my card expired therefore there was no carry over balance to go on the AIB card. On enquiring with AIB about the delay in obtaining my replacement credit card I was told that "there was a delay with Danske switchers" ?? As far as I'm concerned, I feel my application should be treated as a fresh/ new applicant given that there is no carry over or residual balance from my Danske Card. It makes me laugh when I see all the AIB ads inviting switchers !!.

The banks want switchers with nice permanent jobs, savings and few credit demands. Of course they don't tell you that.

There has been an absolute wall of silence around former Danske customers who have been refused credit by other institutions and now have no credit. I'd love to see somebody actually record facts on that.

do not get a Tesco CC for the following reasons:

1. The statement takes 14 days to arrive

2. You cannot check your balance online.

3. Credit limit is quite tight and you have to wait a year before they will amend it.

I am still working hard on 1 and 2, using their prepaid envelopes and trying to tell them how save money by sending Estatements!

If you are self employed or on contract, don't bother wasting your time. They don't do business with non standard clients.

Footnote to my original post on this topic - my AIB credit card arrived eventually, 6 weeks after my application and no balance carryover etc ! Just found the whole switchover thing tedious !

Back