Anyone else completely disappointed with the Microsoft Surface RT ?

hippy1975

My in-laws went and bought one of these recently, I wish they had talked to my husband before shopping, we would have recommended other things but I don't think I would have ever thought this tablet would be as bad as it is, screen is very clunky and unresponsive, reminds me of touch screens ten years ago before they really worked right!

With the touchscreen being so unresponsive it is difficult to do some things and impossible to do others, even a simple thing like saving a picture to the camera roll was hit and miss, the right options list didnt always come up.

The rear camera, as far as I can figure out, is only for panorama mode (how weird is that?) I couldn't manage to take a normal picture with the rear camera anyway.

When you use the attachable keyboard it's not too bad.....leads me to think that's why they give you a keyboard, 'cos they know the touchscreen isn't good!

When I learnt that this cost 329 euro I advised them they have to try going back to the shop, I think they were sold the wrong thing, this might work with the keyboard as a laptop-replacement but doesn't in my view work well as a tablet which is what they were looking to buy. Several other machines in that price bracket would do a much better job.
It's within 28 days and they have the receipt, box etc., does anyone think they have any chance looking to return it / change it or have I sent them on a wild goose chase?

Don't know what possessed them to go shopping without a responsible adult

A lot of people are drawn to this by the keyboard - and don't realise that you can get a high quality bluetooth keyboard - designed for either android or ios - to use with the slate/tablet of your choice. I'm not talking about a big old clunky bluetooth keyboard but a slimline keyboard such as those produced by logitech (they're about 50 euro).

Far better option - and leaves you to focus on the specifics of whatever prospective tablets you're looking at buying.

Makes sense they were cut in price as couldn't be sold, but I'm surprised at Microsoft producing something so bad.

Agree re: the Nexus and iPad, or the HP slate isn't bad either, I would have advised them to go for one of those three if they had asked before buying.

In the end they got out of jail on this one, I advised them to go back to the store and see if they could get a replacement and if so get the iPad mini (to keep it simple had to give them specific instructions!) they were a while in the shop but in the end as a goodwill gesture they got a replacement, huge sigh of relief all round, they were very lucky in my view.

... but I'm surprised at Microsoft producing something so bad.
No surprises there really. Remember the Zune? Windows 95, 98, ME, etc. In order to have a decent bit of functional hardware on which to showcase & sell Windows Phone, Microsoft bought a phone company!! High-end Nokia branded products now come with full versions of Miscrosoft Office Mobile free (Nokia 1520)

Back