kenmare region

igotadose

Hi all. There are a number of properties in the Kenmare region that seem promising. My wife and I, US residents with Irish citizenship, are big fans of the outdoors and not so much crowds and cities. We're vigorous 50-somethings, any places around Kenmare that are good/bad/to be avoided? Thanks much!

Hi dose,

I was in Kenmare few weeks back and had alook around the place below:

[broken link removed]

Its got a great view and is only a stroll from the town center and low density, looked like there is a few people already living there.

Hope that helps

Hi all. There are a number of properties in the Kenmare region that seem promising. My wife and I, US residents with Irish citizenship, are big fans of the outdoors and not so much crowds and cities. We're vigorous 50-somethings, any places around Kenmare that are good/bad/to be avoided? Thanks much!

You might get better information on the website 'the property pin' which is dedicated to all things property.

I recommend maybe renting in Kenmare for a few months to get a feel for the place, once you get chatting to the locals you'll very quickly find out whether it's for you or not. Before you make the decision to buy. If you're originally Irish it might not be necessary.

You mention you don't like cities, but Kenmare is a heck of a distance from a lot of places, the roads down that way are not hectic. Bear that in mind if you're going to be needing Shannon/Dublin airport.

I know you're asking about Kenmare but I would suggest renting for a period in Kenmare and also in Killarney. Killarney is much more accessible than Kenmare, has some of the best hiking and outdoor activities in Ireland and more services. You'll find easier access to all the airports and hospitals, and larger shops etc.

Thanks for all the replies. Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but what is the risk of prices going up in the region, when you delay? Here in the US, very recently (last 2 years), that'd have been a bad strategy and historically it hasn't worked too well.

Of course, that's the US.

As for renting, definitely will think about it. We're kind of used to the weather pattern - originally from the Pacific Northwest, rains all the time except a couple months a year where it has the best weather in the US. Doesn't snow much, doesn't get *too* cold. Kind of like Ireland :D

. Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but what is the risk of prices going up in the region,

We're kind of used to the weather pattern -

We are not allowed to discusse house prices on this website. But I think I can say facts. The newspapers are talking up prices like no tomorow currently, but all I can see outside of Dublin is prices still going down or not moving at all.

To follow what is going on watch a) daft b) Independant, Irish Times or Sunday Business post newspapers, business sections, not property selling sections c) The property price register = actual real prices houses have sold for since 2010

Re the weather pattern, you have to live in the West of Ireland to understand Irish rain, there is nothing like it, for me I've put a line down the middle of the country and will not live on the West of that line due to the rain, and particularly on coast areas where there is the Atlantic breeze (gail force winds, sun, and horizontal rain all in a day and where umbrellas are useless). Kenmare because of it's particular location may have a better temperate climate, there are pockets down there where even Palm trees grow. Just be very careful which side of the mountain you pick as it can make all the difference.

Thanks for the info- questions on new place

The wife is loving on the pictures of Dunquin... As for rain, we're moving from Seattle area so we're adaptable when it comes to rain.... 10 months a year... Any thoughts? Apparently quite a few places available, and I'm flying out to scout that area tomorrow...

Thanks

Back