Fraud Alert! Caller pretending to be from Visa Card asking to verify NZ transaction

STEINER

FRAUD ALERT: Hi all. Ive had a call this am from someone called Susanne saying that she is from Visa/Mastercard services. She asked if i had authorised a payment of €700 to New Zealand recently....when I said no she said that she could stop this payment but then asked me to confirm my card details. I refused to give the card details but she was very insistant. Saying that if I didnt give her the details and hung up the payment would be released. I asked her for a no to ring her back and she gave me the following no: 1800 412266....... while she was still on house phone I rang this no on the mobile.....this no is not in use!!! The no she used to call me on came up as 001001735. She could quote my address also and said she was calling from Dublin. PLEASE TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND BE CAREFUL!!!

By the way, that is copy and paste job from a friend's social media message to me. It's truthful etc, its just not my writing style!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting

Steiner

Thanks for posting that. It may prove very useful at this very busy shopping time. Slim

Where a query has existed for me before, I have been asked for some digits from the verified by visa password.

Once, I received a call from PTSB Security Dept. on a Sat. morn. There had been an attempt to clear out my current a/c which, in fairness, they had nipped in the bud.

I politely declined to even confirm my name. Instead, I told the caller that I would ring the published no. for either reporting lost/stolen cards or the Open 24 no.( I can't remember which) and ask for him by name.

This solution suited both our purposes, and I had no problem discussing my a/c with him thereafter.

I would advise anyone who is "cold-called" in a similar way to do as outlined above

Good thinking Cabedazo

In fact, the bank should probably tell people to do that automatically. It would be good practice that you never give any information at all to a caller.

Brendan

Where a query has existed for me before, I have been asked for some digits from the verified by visa password.
If you were asked for this information by phone, there was something very strange happening. Don't give any password to anyone by phone.

Once, I received a call from PTSB Security Dept. on a Sat. morn. There had been an attempt to clear out my current a/c which, in fairness, they had nipped in the bud.

I politely declined to even confirm my name. Instead, I told the caller that I would ring the published no. for either reporting lost/stolen cards or the Open 24 no.( I can't remember which) and ask for him by name.

This solution suited both our purposes, and I had no problem discussing my a/c with him thereafter.

I would advise anyone who is "cold-called" in a similar way to do as outlined above

I had a similar experience with NIB/Danske, who seemed overly sensitive to a bit of online shopping - three small-ish transactions, all less than €50 with UK/US companies in one night. They weren't showing a caller ID, so I refused to give any information. I didn't have to call back the same person. They said to call back, and any agent would deal with the query, which they did.

One amendment to the scam, which I have heard of, is that they ask you to call them back, and give you the number. When you hang up and redial, the line is still open (since they initiated the call and never hung up). So when you ask for the person, you are "put through" to them.

So the suggestion to call back on the published number is a good one.

One amendment to the scam, which I have heard of, is that they ask you to call them back, and give you the number. When you hang up and redial, the line is still open (since they initiated the call and never hung up). So when you ask for the person, you are "put through" to them.

It's no wonder people get caught out.

Brendan

It was a perfectly valid transaction that they had failed due to the value.
When we were discussing they asked for 3 digits from the VBV which is much much longer! I would encourage anyone not signed up to VBV to do so.

So the suggestion to call back on the published number is a good one.

How is that possible? If I hang up, the line goes dead, I then get a new dial tone and ring a number. How can a line be 'open'? Not doubting your bona fides, just intensely curious!

When we were discussing they asked for 3 digits from the VBV which is much much longer! I would encourage anyone not signed up to VBV to do so.

OK, so you make a large payment.
AIB rings you to confirm it's ok
You confirm it's ok by giving them your Verified by Visa number.

That is fair enough. The people ringing know that you have made this transaction and are asking you to verify it.

The original post is about a transaction which the card holder has not made.

Brendan

This certainly used to be the case, but I am not sure if it still works.

That huge big betting coup from the 70s or 80s was based on a group of people calling the oncourse bookmakers on their landlines , and then not hanging up. When a wall of money started being placed on the horse at the last moment, the off course bookies were unable to call the course to reduce the starting price as all the lines were in use.

Originally Posted by Buddyboy http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=1366272#post1366272
they ask you to call them back, and give you the number. When you hang up and redial, the line is still open (since they initiated the call and never hung up). So when you ask for the person, you are "put through" to them.

If you hang up and then quickly dial the number (thinking you had a new line) then caller would still be there.

Is this what happened.

I think the inability for the callee to terminate the call by hanging up was a feature of the old analogue exchanges. I doubt it applies on a modern digital one.

Just want to reiterate the advice to never disclose details in this type of situation, and always independently check the published number of whatever bank/institution is ringing you, and ring that number, not one given to you by the caller. Yes, a call could be genuine, I have heard of cases where someone was alerted by their bank re fraudulent transactions, on a credit card, for example. But, always check the number, e.g. in the case of a credit card, it is usually on the card, and ring that number.

OK, so you make a large payment.
AIB rings you to confirm it's ok
You confirm it's ok by giving them your Verified by Visa number.

That is fair enough. The people ringing know that you have made this transaction and are asking you to verify it.
I'm not so sure about this asking for the VBV password by phone at all.

There is a general principal that passwords shouldn't be given to anyone. When you enter a password on a website, it should generally be not visible to any human, short of hackers or poor systems administration. I really don't think the system is designed to be used by phone.

Just did a quick google, to see if the line open issue is still relevant (I'd hate to give incorrect information on the internet :D )

It appears so, and is only relevant to landlines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22513041
(read the paragraph called "Changes" )

or

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/uk.telecom/2Qat_qlguSY

I also talked to my mate who used to work in telephone exchanges.

He explained that it is a feature of landlines as it is needed when the call receiver needed to change extensions. For example, if you rang a company and they needed to transfer you to another extension, the line wouldn't disconnect when the transfer is being made. In effect they are putting down one phone and picking up another.

There is a timeout, when the line will eventually disconnect, but it is long enough for the scammee to put down the phone and dial another number without disconnecting the line.

Just did a quick google, to see if the line open issue is still relevant (I'd hate to give incorrect information on the internet :D )

It appears so, and is only relevant to landlines.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22513041
(read the paragraph called "Changes" )ne.
Thanks. Interesting. It is going to be difficult to tell genuine security calls from scammers. I suppose genuine security callers will not ask for pin or codes?

Back