part time job that you don't want your employer to know

cork

Would it be possible to take on a part time job (few hours in the week) that you don't want your employer to know about?

Would it be possible to take on a part time job (few hours in the week) that you don't want your employer to know about?

Are you asking if Revenue will somehow tell them? If so the answer is no - under data protection legislation they wouldn't be in a position to.

As long as you don't split your tax credits & cut-off point your employer will not know you took on other work - if you do split your credits/rate band then they might cop on that you've a reason for doing so (as the only reason you'd do this is because you or your spouse want the benefit of the credits/standard rate-band elsewhere).

You should make sure you are not breaching any terms and conditions of your main employment by working a second job, some jobs require the employee to take enough rest periods in order to be in a fit mental state to operate certain machines or equipment . We wouldn't like the bus driver who drives our kids to school in the morning falling asleep at the wheel because he was stacking shelves all night in Aldi

Many thanks,

I am not getting much experience in the job and thinking of ways to try and get some experience.

I am not getting much experience in the job and thinking of ways to try and get some experience.

What is the objective? If you are intending to use it on a resume or something it is going to be kind of hard to explain it to a new employer, I would think...

Make sure you ask the tax office to issue a zero tax credit to the new employer so that you don't underpay tax in the first 4 weeks.

Once you are not in breach of the EWTD and it's not in your contract that you can't work a second job or work for a competitor, you should be fine.

Remember Ireland is small, my new boss is related to me through marriage, something I only discovered 4 months after she started. I'd advise not saying anything unless asked.

You should make sure you are not breaching any terms and conditions of your main employment by working a second job, some jobs require the employee to take enough rest periods in order to be in a fit mental state to operate certain machines or equipment . We wouldn't like the bus driver who drives our kids to school in the morning falling asleep at the wheel because he was stacking shelves all night in Aldi

That is a relevant point. Check your employment contract also. A motor garage would not take kindly to its mechanics doing nixers at the weekend and taking business from them.
Depending on the nature of your employment you can often get very good experience by contributing to an organisation on a voluntary basis if so inclined.

Many public sector contracts of employment require employees to seek permission before taking on other work

Back