where is the best to go to get a loan for a wedding

xlaurenx, I think you are getting the picture that more money spent does not equal great day which is what you are looking for.

Agree with earlier posters that, food and entertainment are most important. I would extend this to music in the church.

I think you are also in a very lucky situation where you have a mortgage free home and I understand what you say about all the other bills. Might I suggest that you check out the money makeover section. I believe that you could possibly have your current loan clear and a good bit saved for the wedding, with a tightening up for the 12 month run up to the wedding. (I am assuming when you say you earn €400 each a week that that is take home pay and not gross).
Best wishes for it all.

Lauren yes I think that's a lovely idea. I gave my two sisters a bracelet and earrings each and I think they cost around Eur80 per set, so Eur160 in total. Your idea is lovely as well, as you say the feet get sore at the end of the night/while dancing! My sister got us all a tshirt with Bridesmaid on the back of it, a few other little bits and also wrote us a letter each, which I thought was a lovely thought.

I think you should get onto weddingonline (WOL as we call it ;)) and get chatting to others in the same boat.

Getting back to your original questions, as someone who owes more than Eur300k on our mortgage, I'd kill to only owe Eur30k, so while I don't necessarily agree with borrowing such a lot, you'll still be better off than most of us, so see what you can save in the meantime and then just borrow what you will actually need.

M

thanks nickyk

I think thats the best thing to do its just a bit daunting if they say no we're not left with much options. do you think we should wait till we have all the money to book,is this what you did or are you paying bit by bit? I've never even been to a wedding as I'm the first in my family and of my friends to get married so am really in the dark as to where to start.

What we did was decide what we could cut back on in one month. We were putting extra away for our mortgage so in the end we had a definite €500 to save and another €500 depending on whether car insurance etc was required. We have a mortgage and a girl who's 3 (today!) If you book somewhere/something you will need to pay a deposit. We have saved over €5000 and paid deposits as required. I also have €2000 in the CU but owe on a car loan. This car loan will be paid by next summer. We are going to Spain to get married so a lot of the stuff is taken care of for us.
We are hoping to have €10000 by next summer and have a lot of the wedding paid for. Any extra we will get a CU loan.
We approached the CU via email to lay out what we wanted, what we planned to save etc. They we able to give us advice on what we needed to do. From then on we knew what to expect.

It is all about reseraching, negotiating and thinking outside the box. This is a magic combination! and don't be afraid of bargaining: you will be amazed at what you can achieve.

We got engaged last year (October 2010) and are getting married next July. We could have got married sooner but we wanted to save save save first, and for us, the honeymoon , alongside being married, is what we are looking forward to the most. A wedding is for a day, a marriage is for life so you may as well try to start it on the right note! Although you do not have a mortgage, you do not know what will/can happen down the line.

As I have said in the pm i have sent you, I will be delighted to share the very detailed spreadsheet

thanks everyone for all ye're tips and advice.

I'v been brought back down to earth a bit and intend to spend as little as possible.
I think with a lot of research it's doable.

thanks again.

Back