Buying Shares for Baby

Corinthian

My new born daughter has received a small cash gift from her grandparents. Rather than have them sit in a bank account for 15 years is there a way to buy shares/funds in her name easily? She has a PPS number. I'm not interested in physical share certs.

Any broker will arrange for you to buy a fund.

Look for a low cost index tracker with 100% exposure to equities.

Brendan

I love the idea of buying a pension for a child by investing in a low cost 100% equity fund for 60+ yrs. Even a small amount can compound into a monsterous amount over that length.

My new born daughter has received a small cash gift from her grandparents. Rather than have them sit in a bank account for 15 years is there a way to buy shares/funds in her name easily? She has a PPS number. I'm not interested in physical share certs.

The cheapest way to buy is online, but you may find that online brokers increasingly charge a minimum annual fee. Hence, owning a share cert, while a little more expensive upfront, will possibly be a lot cheaper if you intend for your daughter to hold it until she is, say, 18. I don't think you can get a share cert for ETFs (although I could be wrong on that), so perhaps you could consider a defensive global brand (Kellogg, McDonalds, Proctor & Gamble etc.) or Berkshire Hathaway.

Rory

Back