How close can you smoke to an office entrance?

Mucker Man

Hi, we have a situation at work where the smokers insist on smoking directly outside the entrance of the office. As you can imagine this isn't very pleasant, but I heard somewhere that you couldn't smoke within 6 metre of an entrance, is this true? And if yes, is it supported by legislation?

Re: How close can you smoke to a office entrance?

i thought if you were outside of the building you could smoke.

Lucky you're not like me, with a bus stop about 6 feet from my window :)

i thought if you were outside of the building you could smoke.

I thought it was as simple as that also. Be interested to hear if it's any different. If it is as the OP suggests, practically every smoker in the country is in breach of this I'd say -particularly outside pubs.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/c...ty/ban_on_smoking_in_the_workplace_in_ireland

Since 29 March 2004 the Irish Government has implemented a ban on smoking in the workplace in Ireland. This means that with effect from that date smoking is forbidden in enclosed places of work in Ireland. This includes office blocks, various buildings, public houses/bars, restaurants and company vehicles (cars and vans). The ban is being introduced as part of the Public Health (Tobacco) Act, 2002 (Section 47) Regulations 2003.

Employers can encourage employees not to smoke close to the entrance. Citi offices in the IFSC in Dublin appear to have requested this as all the staff cross the road and line up on a path that is less than 2 feet wide.

I do find it entertaining in the current 'climate' seeing a row of bankers lined up against a wall looking nervous and frantically smoking !

Hi, we have a situation at work where the smokers insist on smoking directly outside the entrance of the office. As you can imagine this isn't very pleasant.

So what? They are outside the building and therefore obeying the law. What's unpleasant about that?

I think 5 miles is about right ;).

The IT Crowd did a good parody about this in season 2.

So what? They are outside the building and therefore obeying the law. What's unpleasant about that?

The smell of the area, the haze of smoke, the discarded ash and butts.
If you have to ask .. :rolleyes: ?

The smell of the area, the haze of smoke, the discarded ash and butts.
If you have to ask .. :rolleyes: ?

It's outside the building. The OP said nothing about discarded ash and butts so you are making an assumption there. As for the haze of smoke, well it should quickly dissipate in our weather. If not, then you can hold your breath for half a second as you enter or exit the building so you don't have to inhale the toxic fumes.
To the OP: take it up with the management. Ask them to provide a sheltered designated area for the smokers if it bothers you so much.

Thank you all for your replies, there is a bin provided but it doesn't seem to be used!!! Personally I think it creates a poor first impression of a company. Thanks again.

I have recently been visiting my grand-son in Our Lady's Childrens' Hospital in Crumlin and I wish "someone" (yeah, I know, him again) would implement the smoking regulations.

There is a perfectly good smokers area opposite the main entrances with ash-trays, litter containers, seating, etc provided by the HSE. Outside the buliding, presumably to stop smoke blowing in the doors and windows and to avoid congestion around the entrances, they have placed big no smoking signs which are of course being ignored. Yesterday the roadway, footpath, flower-beds and drains were littered with fag-butts, card-board coffee-cups, matches and empty fag-packets.

While I was using the smokers area for a fag and a coffee, an ambulance arrived and a child on a trolley was admitted via a smokers "guard of honour" huddled around the main entrance.

Presumably as the outside of the building is still on HSE property, they are perfectly entitled to post the no smoking signs and to attempt to restrict smoking to the designated area. That being the case, I wish "someone" would implement the rule as the place looks disgraceful.

If they are littering butts on a public pathway, get onto the local litter warden who should be able to put some pressure on the company to get it sorted. Start talking to your HR people, and/or PR people and/or customer service people about the terrible impression this creates for visitors.

Back