PRSI Rate query

Daddy

Trying to understand this. My daughter worked for 3 weeks in total in 2013 tax year. Her gross earnings were 1,347.59 and prsi was calculated at code AL in total for 34.78. Taking one week for example her gross wages were 443.31 and the prsi deducted was 12.65. That works out at an odd 2.5756%. Was this correct and is she entitled to any rebate. Thanks.

Weekly Payband is €356 - €500

Weekly earnings €443
First €127 of earnings is nil PRSI.

€443 - €127 = 316 * 4% = €12.64

So it all looks correct to me.

Thanks now I see. But is my daughter due any refund having worked just the ..3 weeks.

Thanks Pudds.

My daughter also earned €5k in 2013 from a one off investment. Should she be paying PRSI on this at the AL rate also. Can the €127 per week be taken for the remaining 49 weeks of the year in calculating the PRSI liability or is it just a straight 4% of the € 4.5k.

You only get prsi contributions from employment, you cant get them from investments.

DB74 - that's a surprise that the employer got it wrong.

Pudds - are you saying that from the investment income my daughter has no PRSI to pay.

She just has income tax to sort and I would have thought a single persons tax credit would cover whatever income tax arises then on the € 5k.

Trust me, it's not that surprising! What sort of payslip did she receive. A proper one from a payroll package or just something printed from Excel or Word or something like that?

What sort of investment is it exactly? If it's from the sale of something then it is probably a capital gain as opposed to say, dividends or deposit interest which would be classed as income.

Back