Ballybrack/Shankill

A

amolrpatil

Hi

Any advices / recommendations for good/bad area between Shankill and Ballybrack? :confused:

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Amol

Hi,
My sis and family have lived in Bayview, which is right between them, for nearly six years now and is very happy. Never any trouble. I lived with her for about 18 months and it was great. Lovely neighbours and the dart is about 15-20 min walk, 2 min drive.

Hi 'Sideview'

Thanks for your reply. Basically I got very confused as I have received mixed reations about these 2 areas. I do not want to offend anybody living there but what I had heard was that there are drug dealers in the area especially the one near Tesco in Ballybrack.

Any suggestions/advices?

Regards
Amol

I have lived near old ballybrack/killiney for 4 years. Never had a problem with the area. Location is great for access to dart and M50. Never had any problems down at Tesco either.

There are some groups of teenagers who hang around in the park at the bottom of Ashlawn Park and Coolevin (opposite Tesco BB) but they don't actually cause any trouble for residents as far as I know. I have never seen any evidence of drug dealing in the area. If it does go on it's not visible.

When we were looking to buy in Ballybrack / Shakill we were warned off the estate in Shankill where the Dart station is by several taxi drivers (not that they are necessarily experts).

If you want more info on Ballybrack pm me.

From my experience, the places to be avoided in Shankill are -
Cromlech, Rathsallagh and Shanganagh Cliffs. The older parts of Shankill are fine e.g. the village, Quinn's Road, Woodbrook, Dorney Court etc. Bayview is nice but it is very close to Cromlech and Rathsallagh and if you have kids, you'd want to watch it. Do NOT go near anywhere close to the Dart station as long as it is on the other side of Corbawn Lane or at Eaton Wood. Shanganagh Cliffs and Rathsallagh are both big no-nos

As regards Ballybrack, Wyattville is fine. However, I would avoid most other places as they are rough. The only other exception for me would be houses on the same side as Applegreen service station in Ballybrack village. In and around the Tesco is not great either

Hi

I was going around in Ballybrack and Shankill over weekend. In my opinion Coolevin (In front of Tesco) looks bit dodgy where I could see young kids (age-8-12) smoking right in front of their houses. Rathsallagh didnt show any such signs, at least I couldnt notice it. But when I enquired about both of them at both Balybrakck and Shankill I didnt get good opinions either. I asked almost 10-12 people of different age groups (all above age 20). It looks like I may have to try for some another area to buy house. Having said that my friend is going ahead and buying house in Rathsallagh.

Regards
Amol

Trouble in Rathsallagh is cyclical. In the late 70s, when Rathsallagh was first built, it was very rough. Then the troublemakers got older and moved away. Then a fresh batch of children were the trouble makers. Now they're older and it is now in a period of quiet in the main area of Rathsallagh - but give it another year or two and it will be back rough again.
There are houses on the same side as Scoil Mhuire between it and the Dart station and they are the roughest houses in Rathsallagh. Then there are very rough areas on the other side of the train tracks in Shanganagh Cliffs. I wouldn't recommend Rathsallagh at all. They'll be sorry I reckon.

I am origionally from bray and i left in 1993.shankill isnt the best place,but then again,every area has is good and bad.are you restricted to those 2 locations ?

What rubbish about Ballybrack. I lived there for 8 years up to recently and never any trouble. There used to be back in the 80's alright but not much any more. No news of drug dealing that Ive heard of, in fact the area is soo much improved since I even started living there.. There used to be issues with the Police helicopter going over every so often but havent heard that in about 2 years!

Any dodgy folk that used to live there have grown up and moved out as house prices have way exceeded their budgets IYKWIM. Id much rather Ballybrack than Shankill any day. Moved recently to bigger house and looked at Shankill but decided against it for various reasons. Just moved up the road from Ballybrack about 5 minutes from my old house... and money was not really an object so I could have gone reasonably anywhere ( wdont mean that to sound pompous:eek:!)Stayed in the vicinity as am so fond of it and no family ties to speak of as Im from across on the northside beside Clontarf originally.

Pm if I can be any more help

HTH

I'd tend to agree with MuffinB with regards to the area.
Certainly the part around Tesco.

It's fine. I grew up in Watsons (on the far side of Tesco) and now own my own place in Cherrywood (the loughlinstown one). Walk though ballybrack regularly with the kids to visit my folks. It's fine.
(when we were growing up in the 80's it was pretty rough alright)

The bit of ballybrack between the wyatville road and cromlech fields is a bit saltier although even then has gotten better since they knocked down those awful 3 story terraced houses and replaced them with the affordable housing scheme.

From my experience, the places to be avoided in Shankill are -
Cromlech, Rathsallagh and Shanganagh Cliffs. The older parts of Shankill are fine e.g. the village, Quinn's Road, Woodbrook, Dorney Court etc. Bayview is nice but it is very close to Cromlech and Rathsallagh and if you have kids, you'd want to watch it. Do NOT go near anywhere close to the Dart station as long as it is on the other side of Corbawn Lane or at Eaton Wood. Shanganagh Cliffs and Rathsallagh are both big no-nos

As regards Ballybrack, Wyattville is fine. However, I would avoid most other places as they are rough. The only other exception for me would be houses on the same side as Applegreen service station in Ballybrack village. In and around the Tesco is not great either

ok, your obviously a snooty snob!
Ballybrack is a very pleasent place to live,, but as for Rathsallagh ive lived there for about 7 years and ive had a little bit of issues with the teenagers, but there teenagers so what, im sure the teenagers in "Dorney Court" do exactly the same, its just there parents have their heads so far up their This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language they wouldnt even notice it.
live in the real world you intolerable snob!
ALL the areas youve just metioned are the snobbys areas.
Tesco's is fine!

I agree with a lot of what Alistair Dick said. You could tone down the language a bit yourself and some of your punctuation makes it look like you are shouting at people !

If you went the other side of Shankhill you'd have Woodbrook Glen or Corke Abbey which are really nice maturing estates on the Shankhill side of Bray. Shankhill seems to be a nice area from what I've seen and some of the streets and houses, especially Quinns road etc, are lovely if your budget is up to it.

ok, your obviously a snooty snob!
Ballybrack is a very pleasent place to live,, but as for Rathsallagh ive lived there for about 7 years and ive had a little bit of issues with the teenagers, but there teenagers so what, im sure the teenagers in "Dorney Court" do exactly the same, its just there parents have their heads so far up their This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language they wouldnt even notice it.
live in the real world you intolerable snob!
ALL the areas youve just metioned are the snobbys areas.
Tesco's is fine!

Welcome to Rathsallagh!!

I've lived in Shankill for twenty five years. Never had any trouble at all. Never noticed anyone selling drugs near the DART or anything like that. Never got mugged, was burgled once in 1985 but not since then. Shankill has come on a lot in recent years. The village is very pretty now. Won best urban village award in the Tidy Towns competition in 2007, and another award last year. There's a great pub and a nice cafe. It's got the sea, the fantastic Shanganagh Park, and Shankill Woods in the Dublin mountains, all at hand. Transport is excellent - the DART, the 145 bus to town is frequent and fast. The aircoach stops in the village now. Dalkey is less then ten minutes away, Bray five, by DART. You can walk to Killiney on the beach.

Shankill gets a bad press because there is a county council estate in it. Attitudes are mainly based on snobbery, rumours, and urban legends - and possibly rivalry. People who live in Shankill know they are lucky.

A downside is lack of good shops. The shopping centre was sold almost two years ago, to Superquinn, who were supposed to build apartments and a new supermarket on the site of the old centre. But it remains derelict and an eyesore. There is a mini Tesco and a Spar which are ok for basics but you have to go to Bray or Tesco Ballybrack or Cornelscourt to shop.

Husfru, I agree with what you are saying. I grew up in Quinns Road for many years and never had any hassle whatsoever. Rathsallagh was trouble when it was built but it has quietened down now. I agree that the shopping centre opposite the church looks dreadful now. The graffitiers moved in very quickly after Supervalu and the pub moved out ! I would be more reluctant to recommend parts of Ballybrack or Louglinstown than Shankill. There are trouble spots there still !

I'm originally from Ballybrack now living in Shankill Village and Love it!
With regards the old council estates, they have their good and their bad parts. My first choice would not be any of the ex council estates but if my option was rathsallagh or move to say tallaght or wicklow to a private estate then Rathsallagh would win hands down. In fairness to Eireann, She is right in saying that some kids in the "snobby estates" (not my words!) are just ask bad as in Rathsallagh, kids are kids. I would prefer shankill to ballybrack definatly as it has a nice community feel and they do great work such as the tidy towns etc and there is often little festivals in the village organised by the pub or in the park. I would certainly feel safer walking around the park in shankill than kilboggit in ballybrack.
As for drug dealing, there are drug dealers everywhere. Not necessarily in the open but there is as much chance of a dealer living next door to you in a private estate as there is in a council.

I would certainly feel safer walking around the park in shankill than kilboggit in ballybrack.

There is no comparison between Shanganagh Castle Park and Kilboggit. The former is lovely and clean, the latter full of litter. I wouldn't walk through either of them at night mind you....

Back