How much did your kitchen cost?

SPUDZ

What is the average price people pay for a kitchen?.I read somewhere that a good indication is 10% the value of your house.A basic kitchen that I am looking at is 4k...which seems reasonable but when you add in labour for electrics/plumbing/fitting and then appliances/splashback etc...that figure will be more like 10k.Is this a reasonble figure to spend on a typical 3bed semi?

10k to 15k is about right but it depends on the quality of the wood and the workbench and all the extra trimmings. They say a kitchen should in theory last 15-20 years. The more you skimp back on the price the more it effects the quality which in turn means the less time you get from the kitchen before it starts falling apart.

What is the average price people pay for a kitchen?.I read somewhere that a good indication is 10% the value of your house.

OMG, you have to be kidding! Even at post-crash prices this is a huge amount of money. And just because a home is expensive doesn't mean it has a large kitchen. Look at all those kitchens in expensive apartments that don't even have upper cabinets.

I have a kitchen with three upper cabinets and a fan cabinet, a 1.85m long countertop with a one-and-a-half sink unit (the rest is under-counter appliances) as well as a 2m long peninsula with drawer cabinets underneath. It's not solid wood but if I had more money I'd get exactly the same kitchen again except I'd get a better countertop. It cost me less than €1,000 (not including appliances) three years ago in Ikea. And no, my house didn't cost €10,000!

I'm using IKEA as the bench mark also (i.e. that's what everyone else needs to compete with in terms of price/quality). You can do it all online with their planner tool, if you select all the elements, it will give you the pricing.

I would consider 10-15k an expensive kitchen. Although it really does depend on the size. Ikea certainly should be the bench mark. Good quality kitchens and relatively inexpensive.

I know somebody that spent 30K on a kitchen and it looks no different to some of the ones in IKEA.

I reckon medium size kitchen- 5K should be more than enough including fittings

5,000 to 10,000 would seem about right.

The appliances and worktops etc can add up. As can the cost of the trades, like plumbers and tilers. It depends on what you're considering as part of the kitchen.

Some people are still paying 30K plus I'd imagine.

so cabinets and doors = 3,000
appliances = 2,000 to 3,000
worktops = 250 to 3,000
delivery and fitting = 400 to 1,200
tiling = ?
floor tiling = ?
plumber = ?
electrical = ?

Kitchens have become like everything else these days. Pay 4k if it looks good. Make sure it's fitted correctly. If you want a granite worktop get one. Chances are you or your mrs will want to chance it in 4 or 5 years anyway. Spending 20k on a kitchen is crazy.

It's horses for courses. People still pay 50K plus for cars, and that'd seem to be un-neccessary too.

I was expecting this thread to have a date in 2006.
Ask for the recession/sovereign default price.

We're getting a driveway done at the moment, and the price has come down hugely since the bubble. I'd expect the same from kitchens etc.

(Paying €50k+ for a car is unnecessary, when you can get a functional vehicle for a fraction of the price. However, the recession hasn't hit everyone equally, so yes, horses for courses)

OMG, you have to be kidding! Even at post-crash prices this is a huge amount of money. And just because a home is expensive doesn't mean it has a large kitchen. Look at all those kitchens in expensive apartments that don't even have upper cabinets.

I have a kitchen with three upper cabinets and a fan cabinet, a 1.85m long countertop with a one-and-a-half sink unit (the rest is under-counter appliances) as well as a 2m long peninsula with drawer cabinets underneath. It's not solid wood but if I had more money I'd get exactly the same kitchen again except I'd get a better countertop. It cost me less than €1,000 (not including appliances) three years ago in Ikea. And no, my house didn't cost €10,000![/QUOTE
its great your kitchen cost a grand but the guy was looking for everthing to be priced. from appliances, fitting of kitchen, tiles, plumber, electrics etc... there is alot more cost to a kitchen than just how much you pay in ikea..

Hi,

I'm with dubgem. When I bought my house, the kitchen was included in the deal. They calculated a cost of about 5000 euro including the appliances.

The appliances included in the deal were the worst that you could even imagine, and the kitchen itself consisted of about 6 cabinets all in all. It was quite bland in style.

I decided I would get the money from the builder and create my own kitchen with those 5000 euro.

The results were: getting 11 cabinets, 2 racks of shelves, a pirolitic oven, an american double fridge, the best washer/dryer I could find and a dishwasher. Not to mention a Belfast sink, and a huge double tap with a showery head on top of the regular one.

All bought and fitted for about 3500 euro.

The cabinets are from Ikea, and they come with a 25 year guarantee.

I wouldn't dismiss that option.

Silverwake, is this an accurate breakdown?

11 cabinets, with doors = 900
shelves = 50
oven = 300
fridge = 700
washer = 400
dishwasher = 400
belfast sink, taps = 200
worktops = 200

total = 3,150
delivery, fitting = 350
VAT included in all prices above.

seems pretty cheap to me.

Some people are still paying 30K plus I'd imagine.

OMG who the hell spends this kind of money on a kitchen?

I've heard of higher. 60K plus even.

Some top class companies may charge close to that.. but not all, and some on the list below may be cheaper, even much cheaper.

DeVOL kitchens.
Smallbone
Clive Christian
Siematic
etc

If you view some of the websites you'll see where the money goes.

edited to add... if the fancy stone flooring etc is included then the price isn't too bad. It's clear from the photos that these are huge kitchen, to an exceptionally high standard, with no expense spared. If the whole room is included then it might not be bad.

I paid around 20k including appliances, not including tiling and back splashes.
Nice Nolte German kitchen. Worth every euro. I enjoy it every day.

JoeBallantin,

I didn't use a delivery service, I brought everything back home by myself.
Then I paid some independent carpenter/kitchen fitter.
In addition to that the worktop was way cheaper as were the sink, tap, and dishwasher.
I do not remember how much were the cabinets, but the whole kitchen without appliances, including tap, sink, worktops, etc, was around 1000 euro, and I paid around 500 to have it fitted.

I hope that helps with the calculations.

Well, IKEA certainly are cheap. I feel the taps, sink and worktop are worth 300 absolute minimum. So the cabinets for 700 is excellent.

It seems you had approx 2,000 left over for appliances which is good for the ones mentioned, with the American style fridge.

Well done.

No 25 year guarantee on the appliances I'd imagine, but so what, still a great price.

In the process of getting a new kitchen/utility room done.

I'm paying approx €5500 for units for both rooms.
€800 for polished porcelain tiles, plus €300 to fit them.

Appliances not included.

Back