Passport Renewal

Daddy

About to renew a passport for my daughter who requires her old passport while I am renewing. Can I just take a photocopy of it and send it in with the application, explain the situation and tell them I will return the old one for cancellation then on receipt of the new one. Do I have to contact them in advance to ask this or can I just go ahead and proceed this way.

Also, it.s 80 euro plus the charge for passport express but if I am renewing a few at the same time is there a charge for each or does one charge cover the lot. Thanks.

Some info here..note the bit in bold.

When you get the form, you should read the detailed notes provided with it, to help you complete your application correctly.

When applying to renew your Irish passport you must include the following with your application:

Four photographs, two of which must be signed by a witness as per instructions provided with the application form
Your current or most recent passport. If your current passport is valid for less than 6 more months, a copy of the passport will be accepted. (Your birth certificate is not required)

The appropriate fee
If you want to change the name on your passport to your married/civil partnership name include your civil marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate.

[broken link removed]

as far as I know, its only one application per one express envelope, so each will have the full charge.

If you use An Post's Passport Express service, which guarantees that you will get your passport within 10 working days, there will be an additional charge of €9 per application. An Post also offers a 'Family Application' option whereby up to 4 passport applications for a family may be enclosed in one envelope. The additional charge for a Family Application is €15.50. The additional charge includes postage to/from the Passport Office. The Passport Express service through UK Post Office branches in Northern Ireland (pdf) costs £6.

Taken from [broken link removed]

I recently used passport express so be aware that it took over 15 working days for me to get the passport despite the website saying the turnaround was 9-10 days. I know other people who say it was the same with them. I wasn't in a rush so no big deal but don't rely on the 10 day turn around.

Thanks Leper, I can't see any postal address on the form apart from Passport Office, Dublin/Cork.
regards

I renewed my Passport by regular post and had my new Passport by return post.

Be aware that it costs an extra €15 to do it by "snail mail" but then you don't have to pay the express post charge!!

Crazy I know.

I recently used passport express so be aware that it took over 15 working days for me to get the passport despite the website saying the turnaround was 9-10 days. I know other people who say it was the same with them. I wasn't in a rush so no big deal but don't rely on the 10 day turn around.

When we had to get a passport for my son, it took weeks to get it. We ended up having to call out to a nondescript building in an industrial estate where they are produced and picking it up there.

Black Sheep what address did you send your passport application to? What is the extra €15 for? regards

I sent mine to Passport Office, 17-18 Dawson St. Dublin 2

Kept a copy so I had the bar code and was able to track it on line and lo and behold by mid day the following day they had received it. I then realized (from reading Citizen info website) that an extra €15 was required for snail mail applications (don't know why). Sent off the dosh and new passport arrived next day.

That was almost 2 years ago and perhaps things have changed as I don't see any option for snail mail at present

I sent mine to Passport Office, 17-18 Dawson St. Dublin 2

Kept a copy so I had the bar code and was able to track it on line and lo and behold by mid day the following day they had received it. I then realized (from reading Citizen info website) that an extra €15 was required for snail mail applications (don't know why). Sent off the dosh and new passport arrived next day.

That was almost 2 years ago and perhaps things have changed as I don't see any option for snail mail at present
Thanks Black Sheep I think things have moved on since then will probably have to go to PO

Write or email Passport office (sending details of your passport) and your new address.

Your passport isn't registered to an address. No need to do anything, just give your new address when applying next time.

Last edited:
Back