House & Panic Alarms for the Elderly

tweety07

Does anyone know if there are grants given to the elderly for having house alarms fitted? Is it possible to have a house alarm fitted without having an ongoing monitoring charge per month?

Also in relation to a panic button where would I obtain same for an elderly parent?

Hi Tweety07, I dont know anything about grants but you can certainly have an alarm fitted which isn't monitored. If you look under house alarms in this section you will see posts there giving views from all sides. The alarm ( Yale ) which we fitted a couple of weeks ago has a panic button ( two in fact ) the whole thing cost €300 and can be bought over the internet.The panic button also works when the alarm is off by setting off the siren.

None that I'm aware of for house alarms themselves but check out this link for panic buttons - [broken link removed]

you apply through a group but the section dealing with it will give you details of a viable group in your area if you give them a call

a few years back we got from eircom a phone system for elderly/ disabled and it eas brill. a load of extra gadgets on the phone itself, press one large button and the phone continually dialls alist of preset numbers until someone picks up and receives a message, plus it comes with a panic button that she wore like a necklace, one press and the phone started dialling. it was either free or near enough free

None that I'm aware of for house alarms themselves but check out this link for panic buttons - [broken link removed]

you apply through a group but the section dealing with it will give you details of a viable group in your area if you give them a call
I think you can also apply to the garda if there is a garda community alert system in place in your area. I could be wrong just read that link above and don't see it mentioned but seem to have a memory of hearing it

You can get any alarm fitted without having monitoring. You can also have the alarm call various numbers with a recorded message saying if its an alarm, panic alarm etc.
You can also have the alarm text a selection of numbers..
Having said that for an elderly person central station monitoring is really the most reliable. If its an elderly person the timing of the response could be crucial. With central station monitoring a wireless medical pendent could also be added to the system. This alerts the central station that it is a medical alarm in turn they can directly contact the ambulance service , doctor & family members. In cases like this I would not rely on voice messages or texts which could end up on a silent mobile.
Remember if you want monitoring & Garda response you must deal with a licenced installer.

a wireless medical pendent could also be added to the system.

These things are fantastic, if the elderly person wears then 24/7
It means if they fall in the garden etc they can press the button and summon help.
The only problem is many elderly people leave them on a side board etc...they really need to wear them constantly.

Thanks to all and especially Sloggi - the panic alarm being fitted this week at a cost of €50!

Back